Author Topic: Value of original 69 rear shocks?  (Read 5505 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
Value of original 69 rear shocks?
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »
i have a used set of C9zx Autolite shocks with the Shelby stickers on them. They are white with overspray on them. Someone expressed interest in them, they are of no value to me but id like to get a feel for the value before I move them on. Any thoughts?

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Value of original 69 rear shocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:12:41 PM »
Pitting will influence interest, as well as value.  Most buyers will be looking for their date match.  Dents are a negative.  Original hardware is a plus.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:25:10 PM »
i have a used set of C9zx Autolite shocks with the Shelby stickers on them. They are white with overspray on them. Someone expressed interest in them, they are of no value to me but id like to get a feel for the value before I move them on. Any thoughts?
Some shocks are so rare that finding a set is a trick regardless of date code. Yes condition is a important consideration. The white C9ZX shocks are very rare . What is the suffix on the engineering number stamped into the shock? There were two different white ones used. One version C9ZX -C was GT500 auto and all GT350. The other was C9ZX-B GT500 4 speed only. They are all rare but the 4 speed version was extremely so . The white 4 speed shock is probably the rarest shock as far as numbers used on a Shelby. It was only used after approximately end of March 69 to the end of of 69 production and as I mentioned only on GT500 4 speeds. The Ebay shock man Dan Patch will make you up a set that looks the part but are NOT adjustable like original for 1800.00 . He charges around 250.00 a shock to refurbish originals. They change hands so infrequently it is hard to say what the market value is on them. Hopefully these comments will give you some insight. Best of luck with the sale.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 11:27:44 PM »
And price makes a difference  if they leak as I got some shocks here that are leaking oil out of the seals.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:59 AM »
Thanks all. no leaks all original hardware no dents. I don't see -B or -C on them but I do see TOEB. I think..... I tried to attach a photo

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:27:52 AM »
try again with pics

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:28:37 AM »
Rear shock will be c9zx-18080-b   or c   and if u cant read the number clearly  just push shock together and measure end tip to end tip and let me know as the 4-speed is a little longer than auto.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »
Now I see it. they are C. Is anyone making the stickers? These would clean up perfectly except for the stickers. These were on my low mile 68 Shelby.....

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
Yes the decals are available from Tony Branda

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »
Any thoughts about the date code T0EB?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »
I made the decals.  I should have some left
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
Any thoughts about the date code T0EB?

Believe that would decode as May 70 made
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
It is 
  • 1970-[E] May- 2---By this this can not be Shelby, since Shelbys where not build in 70--does anyone knows what other Mustang had white Autolite shocks--thanks
The engineering number has more to do with identifying then the color does. The C9ZX-B or C on the shock was a Shelby unique part. The date indicates that it was made after production most likely as a service part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
so I found these on my 68 which means or supports that these were replacement parts. From a judging perspective how would they be considered on my car? out of place and wrong?

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
I would think that the 0  is a 9 and its just not stamped deep enough as some stampings  are hard to read as tooling wore down and that's a late date so some of last Shelby shocks made and I have never seen a 70 date shebly shock nos or service replacement. The other difference between 68 and 69 shocks is fine thread to coarce threads. Also if u have a 68 kr 4-speed it don't use adjustable rear shocks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:42:00 PM by Special Ed »