Author Topic: One Lap of VA- 2019 GT350 Tour- The Ozarks  (Read 5594 times)

CSX4781

• View Profile
One Lap of VA- 2019 GT350 Tour- The Ozarks
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
A number of us from VA participated in the 2019 GT350 tour at the end of October/early November, which was based in Ridgedale MO at the Big Cedar Lodge, and included four days of driving all over Northwestern Arkansas.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 12:26:32 AM by CSX4781 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: One Lap of VA- 2019 GT350 Tour- The Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:04:00 PM »
A number of us from VA participated in the 2019 GT350 tour at the end of October/early November, which was based in Ridgedale MO at the Big Cedar Lodge, and included four days of driving all over Northwestern Arkansas. See the link below for my photos from the tour.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBfbcNMyJWyHke5BA

Dave
Great picture album. Thank you for sharing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:06:38 PM »
You folks are just having too much fun with your cars! 8)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »
Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 12:37:07 AM »
Thank you Dave!  Great photos!  Your car is looking great as always!

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:51:34 AM »

Great to see these Shelby's out and looks like it should have been a fun tour.

CSX4781

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:42 PM »
I appreciate all of the positive comments. It was a lot of work to get the car ready for the tour, including a lot of deferred maintenance (repacking front wheel bearings, ignition system tuneup, plug wires, etc) and having to rebuild the rear end at the 11th hour (including a brand new 3.89 gear and axle bearings). The extra work paid off as I really had nothing to do to the car on the tour but check the oil and tire pressure each morning and keep it full of gas.

Luckily, one thing that I did have the presence of mind to do (after we got to Missouri) was look up the previous owners son (Frank Likert had moved the family to AR in 1983, a year after I bought the car- his son Frankie was 2 at the time). They live in Searcy AR now. Frankie tricked his dad into going to Russellville with him, where we had a planned lunch stop on Thursday). Frank was surprised to see all of the Shelbys in the city hall parking lot, even more so when he saw his old car there. They had lunch with us, then I let them take their old Shelby out to drive around town while we were waiting for the others to finish lunch. They got a real kick out of driving it, particularly Frankie, who had always heard stories about the Shelby (he is a diehard hot rodder and autocrosser now, just like his dad). It was a bigger deal to them than I though it would be, so I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity to get together with them.

Dave

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
Great stuff, thanks Dave!
Dave - 6S1757

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 06:52:03 AM »
I appreciate all of the positive comments. It was a lot of work to get the car ready for the tour, including a lot of deferred maintenance (repacking front wheel bearings, ignition system tuneup, plug wires, etc) and having to rebuild the rear end at the 11th hour (including a brand new 3.89 gear and axle bearings). The extra work paid off as I really had nothing to do to the car on the tour but check the oil and tire pressure each morning and keep it full of gas.

Luckily, one thing that I did have the presence of mind to do (after we got to Missouri) was look up the previous owners son (Frank Likert had moved the family to AR in 1983, a year after I bought the car- his son Frankie was 2 at the time). They live in Searcy AR now. Frankie tricked his dad into going to Russellville with him, where we had a planned lunch stop on Thursday). Frank was surprised to see all of the Shelbys in the city hall parking lot, even more so when he saw his old car there. They had lunch with us, then I let them take their old Shelby out to drive around town while we were waiting for the others to finish lunch. They got a real kick out of driving it, particularly Frankie, who had always heard stories about the Shelby (he is a diehard hot rodder and autocrosser now, just like his dad). It was a bigger deal to them than I though it would be, so I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity to get together with them.

Dave

Here’s a photo
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »
A number of us from VA participated in the 2019 GT350 tour at the end of October/early November, which was based in Ridgedale MO at the Big Cedar Lodge, and included four days of driving all over Northwestern Arkansas. See the link below for my photos from the tour.
Dave

Wow, looks like a great time, neat roads - and nice weather as well.
Thanks for posting the pix.

Had to be extra cool having Chuck participating  8)... he said that he really enjoyed everything (saw him briefly at the FvF movie screening in Philly in early Nov.)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

CSX4781

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
Mark,
  Yes, the Cantwells are some of the finest people you ever met. In spite of his (significant) contributions in the racing world, Chuck is very modest about it all. I think he (and Joanne) really just enjoy being participants in all of the old car activities they do, particularly the social aspect of it. I attached a photo of them with their car after completion of the tour at the lodge.

Dave

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
Mark,
  Yes, the Cantwells are some of the finest people you ever met. In spite of his (significant) contributions in the racing world, Chuck is very modest about it all...
Dave

Absolutely agree.
Plenty of folks today could maybe use some of those mannerisms.
I also think that it is a credit to the Club and Shelby community for the help and his car
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:13:19 PM by mark p »
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »
I tried following the Cantwells during the tour one day, big mistake, Hugh, really big mistake. He can drive the pants off of almost everybody
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 10:14:31 PM »
^^^^^  ;D 8)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
I tried following the Cantwells during the tour one day, big mistake, Hugh, really big mistake. He can drive the pants off of almost everybody

Yep I tried that also  in the rain  he still was pulling away .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .