Author Topic: Rare Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster  (Read 2061 times)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Rare Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
I have no connection to this poster. I do recall there was a posting awhile back with a few looking for this hard to find poster. Here is the link. Buy It Now option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-CS-Shelby-Don-Prudhomme-Parts-Accessories-wall-poster-w-photo/264422093839?hash=item3d90c8f40f:g:XlEAAOSwUhRdyJk8
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
Cool find.  But what has always bothered me about this particular photo is that the red blades of the bird-catcher are closed.  That would seem to indicate the engine is either off, or operating at low throttle. 

I can't tell for certain, but are the blower drive belt and pulleys not moving?  The detail (scratches) on the pulleys appear sharply in focus. which would not indicate a turning engine. 

Having been a car mag writer and photog, and having shot lots of action photos of race cars including dragsters (back in the dark ages of film cameras) I wouldn't be surprised if they put together that image from two photos: The front of the car stationary, to get sharp focus on the engine, but the back end burnout (maybe just the smoking tires) came from another pix.

Diggers aren't exactly vibration-free when doing burnouts. Yes, a very high shutter speed and some luck could let you capture a nicely in-focus shot, but I'm still calling "art director magic" on this one.  (Nothing wrong with that, IMO.)

Other thoughts? 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:42:35 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
The seller is nuts in his pricing.  I’m sure you all know him from the Boss 9 world.  He triple and quadruples his prices.  This poster, and the girl in the checked dress, red background one have been for sale for quite a awhile. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
At the end of the day, I guess it's really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I do know this however, they are not making any more of them. I'm not justifying the cost, but if I had only bought that 65 R-Model in 82'.......... 8)
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
At the end of the day, I guess it's really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I do know this however, they are not making any more of them. I'm not justifying the cost, but if I had only bought that 65 R-Model in 82'.......... 8)
You had your sights on an R back in 1982? Which one was it?
I pined over the Milo Brooks car back in the mid 90s. $150k in Rapid City South Dakota. Every Hemmings I saw it I died a little more.  It stayed there for months. Did not have the downstroke for it being still fairly fresh in the legal field which equally reflected my earnings at that time.

I shouldn't complain. I am lucky to have the red Hertz. The love of my life as it turns out after the marriages collapsed and the women left.

And to make this post relevant, the poster is too highly priced in my opinion because it doesn't have a Shelby "feel" about it like it would portraying a Cobra or Shelby Mustang. But hey, opinions vary.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:40:56 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »
Cool find.  But what has always bothered me about this particular photo is that the red blades of the bird-catcher are closed.  That would seem to indicate the engine is either off, or operating at low throttle. 

I can't tell for certain, but are the blower drive belt and pulleys not moving?  The detail (scratches) on the pulleys appear sharply in focus. which would not indicate a turning engine. 

Having been a car mag writer and photog, and having shot lots of action photos of race cars including dragsters (back in the dark ages of film cameras) I wouldn't be surprised if they put together that image from two photos: The front of the car stationary, to get sharp focus on the engine, but the back end burnout (maybe just the smoking tires) came from another pix.

Diggers aren't exactly vibration-free when doing burnouts. Yes, a very high shutter speed and some luck could let you capture a nicely in-focus shot, but I'm still calling "art director magic" on this one.  (Nothing wrong with that, IMO.)

Other thoughts?

To me, from the angle,  it looks like the Red Blades are open about a Third and the Pullies are spinning, looks as if he just let off the Throttle after doing a Burn Out.  If you look at the Signed Photo, the Blades are totally closed.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »
OK, thanks tesgt350 for taking a close look. That could make sense. 

My old photog's eye is always looking for pre-Photoshop trickery.   ;D
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »

[/quote]
You had your sights on an R back in 1982? Which one was it?
[/quote]

No, just a matter of speaking. What seems expensive today is sometimes not what it seems tomorrow. We would alway's see specific cars in the old snake bites and poke my Dad and say you better get on that one...... never did, as at the time it seemed like a lot of money...... like the poster does here. I actually like the poster for it's rarity and the fact that it isn't your typical subject matter. Nothing better than a giant burn out coming at you!
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
How about a signed Snake piston for your collection? $200
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 09:52:21 PM »
How about a signed Snake piston for your collection? $200

Now that's cool!
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429