News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Chuck McHose interview 1/12/2020 - '67 Shelby designer

Started by Richstang, January 14, 2020, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Great candid interview,  thanks for providing

Love it when he says "it's an automatic" and "someone fixed the hood here, they weren't level"
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 15, 2020, 02:59:05 PM
Good stuff

Would be interested to know his recollections/relationship to Chun

If they knew each other, it wasn't while Charlie was at Shelby American in LAX.
Charlie McHose was long gone before John Chun even interviewed there. The '67 Shelby's were well into production by that point.
I'd have to read up on John's story, but I recall him not starting at LAX until February '67, after he graduated from Art Center in Pasadena.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

propayne

Would also like to know his relationship to Chun - hell, I'd love to conduct an interview with him!

Noticed in the written interview, Chuck (or someone) misstates that Thunderbird taillights were used on the '67s.

Love his concept sketch below.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Richstang

Those are great sketches of the '66 Mach I concept Phillip. No doubt these are what Chuck was referring to when he mentioned he brought a few concept sketches to show CS. We can see a lot of influence in that design.

Richstang

Thanks for posting JD.

This is terrible news! My condolences to his wife Jean and family/friends.

We should get a checkered flag post put up so everyone sees this sad information.

Charlie needs to be praised for his work at Shelby American for all the '67 Shelby GT350/500 design efforts to get it done...
and
for all the work he did at Ford including the 67-68 Mach I concept car, one of my all time favorite concept cars!

oldcanuck

Yes.... very sad news. 

Terrific interview posted..... very informative.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

propayne

Bill Neale and now Chuck McHose -

Big loss to the Ford/Shelby and art communities.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

S7MS427

This is very, very sad news.  My deepest sympathies to all his relatives and friends.  A huge loss for our Shelby community.

During SAAC 12, the first SAAC convention in Charlotte, I had the pleasure of meeting Pete Brock at the airport when a group of us were sent to pick up a few enthusiasts who were coming in from Japan.  Pete was somehow with them and stopped to speak with me when he saw I was driving a '67 Shelby.  He told me that he always thought that the '67 was the prettiest of all the Shelbys.  This coming from the guy who was responsible for the design of the Daytona Coupe, one of the most beautiful and iconic auto designs of all time, and for the distinguishing features for the '65 and '66 G.T.350s.  Of course I had to agree with him.  Very high praise for Mr. McHose efforts indeed.  I certainly can't disagree with the statement in that article stating "The 1967 Shelby GT500 is often discussed as among the most gorgeous cars ever made, with a list that includes the likes of the Ferrari 250 GTO, Ford GT40, Jaguar E-Type, and the Shelby Daytona. The 1967 Shelby GT500 takes its rightful place beside them."  Personally, the '67 Shelby styling will always be my favorite.

Quote from: propayne on January 15, 2020, 05:06:20 PM
Noticed in the written interview, Chuck (or someone) misstates that Thunderbird taillights were used on the '67s.

- Phillip

I seem to recall that T-Bird taillights were originally considered for the '67 but they were nixed due to availability and the Cougar taillights were then substituted.  Others my know better and provide additional insight.  T-Bird taillight were tried out on SFM 5 010 at one time.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Side-Oilers

Not sure why '65 T-Bird taillights would have been nixed on Shelbys in '67 but not in '68...if it was due to an "availability problem." 

The '66 and '67 T-Birds used different taillights from the '65 'Birds.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 19, 2021, 06:33:12 PM
Not sure why '65 T-Bird taillights would have been nixed on Shelbys in '67 but not in '68...if it was due to an "availability problem." 

The '66 and '67 T-Birds used different taillights from the '65 'Birds.

64-5-6 Birds used the same tail lights. 67 was the new Bird with the full width tail light. They would have checked stock and probably found plenty of the Cougar tail lights on hand since it was still a production part. The Bird inventory may have dwindled down to their warranty and crash replacement stock levels for no longer produced cars. Then in 68 it made more sense to make more Ford parts for the larger Shelby productions numbers. Also it avoided the inter brand hassle of sourcing, transfering and paying for the parts on Mercury's books.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Rodster-500

Sad news.  RIP and condolences to the family.

I'll think of him every time I drive my 68 without wheel covers.

If you don't understand go back to the SAAC annual articles.