Author Topic: Ammeter Wiring ?  (Read 5169 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Ammeter Wiring ?
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
I did a search but found nothing on this.... but my question is..... I have read somewhere guys remove, or just don't connect their ammeter wiring harness for fear of an electrical problem.... or fire ?

Is this true, and can someone enlighten me prior to me hooking mine back up on my GT-350  ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Ammeter Wiring ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:02 PM »
Fake news

Not necessary to remove the wiring

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
The second version junction block that was used (the black Ford/Lincoln part which was used on the majority of cars - 95%) are the better version and are much safer.  Just make sure all the wires and sheathing and connections are in good condition.

Here's the wiring diagram from Branda, also an image of the black Ford part.  The black Ford part is reproduced.

The early Gray part that was used on very early cars (note the insulator that should be there between the back of the part and the inner fender panel - missing most of the time). Also, on some of the very early cars both wires were RED they fixed that issue.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:48:31 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
The grey piece shown in your photos is an aircraft terminal block from the 1960's. Not too surprising given the location of Shelby's facility in 1967.

I've seen them with two, three, four, and maybe as many as ten terminal mounting points. I never have seen a single terminal version like that but don't see why one could not have come from the same group of manufacturers. They became outdated by the mid 1970's. Most of the aircraft that used those have been scrapped long ago. Older aircraft like the Boing 727 and even early 737's and 747's had dozens and dozens of them behind removable panels in the cockpit overheads.

The second version junction block that was used (the black Ford/Lincoln part which was used on the majority of cars - 95%) are the better version and are much safer.  Just make sure all the wires and sheathing and connections are in good condition.

Here's the wiring diagram from Branda, also an image of the black Ford part.  The black Ford part is reproduced.

The early Gray part that was used on very early cars (note the insulator that should be there between the back of the part and the inner fender panel - missing most of the time). Also, on some of the very early cars both wires were RED they fixed that issue.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »
Thanks guys.... mine is the second FLM version.

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »
Is there a nice diagram of the ammeter end of this circuit?

Does the under dash pod present any problems with being disassembled?
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
The grey piece shown in your photos is an aircraft terminal block from the 1960's. Not too surprising given the location of Shelby's facility in 1967.

I've seen them with two, three, four, and maybe as many as ten terminal mounting points. I never have seen a single terminal version like that but don't see why one could not have come from the same group of manufacturers. They became outdated by the mid 1970's. Most of the aircraft that used those have been scrapped long ago. Older aircraft like the Boing 727 and even early 737's and 747's had dozens and dozens of them behind removable panels in the cockpit overheads.

Royce:
The gray single terminal aircraft junction block was reproduced/ acquired from old stock and sold on Ebay a few years back. I haven't seen one in a while for sale.   
What carrier did you work for? KDFW, KAFW, KTUL?
                                                                                             -Keith

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »

Yes, the "top" edge has cut marks where they were separated from the others.

One of our SAAC guys had some reproduced, about 10 or more years ago, not sure if any are available.  Don't know if the one Keith saw was one of these or from another source.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:04:09 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
JD:
It is quite possible that was where they came from. I noted them on Ebay. As a matter of fact, I have only seen two early vehicles that still retained them.
When I first started collecting factory parts for my restoration I wasn't sure what I should actually have at the time.
The first vehicle I saw one on was what I remember as car 33 which was a green car with a Paxton supercharger I saw at the Yellow Rose in FT Worth years ago.
I am not absolutely sure it was 0033. However, It was a slant grill vehicle with the odd clamp bracketry to retain the inboards.

-Keith

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 08:59:35 AM »
I spent my career working on corporate jet aircraft / avionics. Those same terminal blocks were used in everything from Lockheed Jetstars to Gulfstream GI / GII / GIII on up to the heavy iron airliners which are much more common. Most of my career was working in DAL / or around the world at various places where one would need repairs at an airport.

I bet you could find more of those in one of the aircraft salvage places around LGB.

Royce:
The gray single terminal aircraft junction block was reproduced/ acquired from old stock and sold on Ebay a few years back. I haven't seen one in a while for sale.   
What carrier did you work for? KDFW, KAFW, KTUL?
                                                                                             -Keith

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
I reproduced the gray terminal blocks and have a few left.

Dave
dmathews@prodigy.net
Support the SAAC Registry

rmarble57

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Car #23 still has the early style junction block.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 01:41:00 AM »
Car #23 still has the early style junction block.
Make sure the circuit board insulating wafer is underneath the terminal block or you could easily have a catastrophic electrical fire!!!
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
Just in case anyone wants to make their own terminal block the Mil - Spec part number is MS27212-X-N

Where X = Diameter of the studs (terminals) on the block.
Possibilities:
MS27212-1-N = 6/32 UNC-2A
MS27212-2-N = 10/32 UNF-2A
MS27212-3-N = 1/4 -28 UNF-2A
MS27212-4-N = 5/16 - 24 UNF-2A
MS27212-5-N = 3/8 - 24 UNF-2A
MS27212-6-N = 8/32 UNC-2A

Where N = Number of studs on the terminal block

From the photos it appears to be MS27212-4-N (5/16-24 stud size). You could use any dash number, the parts installed by Shelby American appear to be made only from the ends of a T-block. So regardless of the length of the T - block you would only get two usable parts that were like originals.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
Royce - THANKS for the photo!!