Author Topic: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!  (Read 12211 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
Maybe it's the same guy (Miller) that bought CSX2000?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2020, 07:35:17 PM »
I am hearing that the prior owner was offered $7,000,000 and turn down. Any truth to this?   Looks like he should have taken the offer.  I think everyone expected more than the $3,740,000 with fees it finally sold at.

I find it interesting that many of the images shown at the auction were not this car and that the car was not described as the none chase scene car.  (Or did I miss that?)  Still very cool.

In the actual movie, you can ID each car by the different side mirrors.  The non-chase scene car has the stock 68 Mustang mirror and the chase scene car has an a black round mirror.

Take care

Cory

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2020, 07:46:42 PM »
I am hearing that the prior owner was offered $7,000,000 and turn down. Any truth to this?   Looks like he should have taken the offer.  I think everyone expected more than the $3,740,000 with fees it finally sold at.

Ummmm, ouch?

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »
Patina?  This is Patina!  :https://www.simeonemuseum.org/photos/cobra-daytona-coupe-csx-2287/

They did a presentation one time at the Museum about the effort that went into the preservation... not sure I remember any exact numbers, but pretty sure it was well over 2,000 hours to keep that patina and make it operable.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:53 PM »
every time we hear the words patina, barn find, provenance before the introduction we know here comes another SH#T BOX

what about that bullitt staying in the continental states

Hey, bring it to my State so we can enhance the patina by letting it spend some quality time by the beach.   For the concerned, we can put in that glass box.  On Waikiki beach, people f
rom all over the U.S. and around the world can visit it.    8)

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
SOOOOO, would you guys restore it or leave it exactly as it is?

I would leave it as restoring it, in my mine would take away the connection to the movie and Steve

As far as Patina, I really believe it started becoming fashionable when folks could not afford paint jobs. All of a sudden cars were around that had wear and tear showing and folks liked it (I most certainly do and a 66 Shelby with heavy Patina got me wanting one for a few decades) Of course the word is now used to describe basket case cars. I think it fits when a car is in otherwise driver shape but has paint that is polished through and maybe some rust but not excessive

I also like buying project cars with original patina showing the car has lived in its current state, wether original or long ago restored. This shows me that the bodywork done didn't fail in 6 months.

Just one guys opinion

Peter

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
yes it is

I am very glad that Bullitt is staying in the USA.   Any intel on who bought it yet...other than Mr. Gaines and he ain't talking.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »
Aloha Don

One of our cars went from Ford in Detroit to Shelby American, then shipped overseas to Maui, Hawaii.  Then from Maui back to the great State of Florida. 

It has more nautical miles than land miles. We almost had to register it as a boat.....

Let's take a look at our coast line and compare to your paradise. The big advantage we have over yours is that we have bridges connecting our islands. Mahalo

every time we hear the words patina, barn find, provenance before the introduction we know here comes another SH#T BOX

what about that bullitt staying in the continental states

Hey, bring it to my State so we can enhance the patina by letting it spend some quality time by the beach.   For the concerned, we can put in that glass box.  On Waikiki beach, people f
rom all over the U.S. and around the world can visit it.    8)

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:20 AM »
Leave that 3 million dollar heap as it is, is what the majority of our group says

SOOOOO, would you guys restore it or leave it exactly as it is?

I would leave it as restoring it, in my mine would take away the connection to the movie and Steve

As far as Patina, I really believe it started becoming fashionable when folks could not afford paint jobs. All of a sudden cars were around that had wear and tear showing and folks liked it (I most certainly do and a 66 Shelby with heavy Patina got me wanting one for a few decades) Of course the word is now used to describe basket case cars. I think it fits when a car is in otherwise driver shape but has paint that is polished through and maybe some rust but not excessive

I also like buying project cars with original patina showing the car has lived in its current state, wether original or long ago restored. This shows me that the bodywork done didn't fail in 6 months.

Just one guys opinion

Peter
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:52:09 AM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
  All good to say "leave it as it is" NOW.  But everybody here knows Mustangs...and metal.  Eventually, that car is going to get restored.  It might be ten years, might be fifty.  Otherwise we'll be looking at a pile of rust dust with 4 tires around it.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2020, 06:05:11 PM »
Agreed, regarding the misuse of the words "patina" and "barn find".

Case in point:  the car below that was a no sale at Kissimmee.  If you look closely, you'll see HUGE holes in the lower quarters (I could have dropped a football from inside the trunk to the ground without hitting anything on either side of the gas tank) and holes on the forward and aft areas of the aprons on both sides.

There seemed to be no money in the room, and it looked to be shill bid up to $37K.  BTW - I checked after it crossed the block, and the reserve was $65K.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-396954/1969-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/
Nobody will spend 65 on a car that costs another 60 to restore and have a value of 75 max.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 10:40:30 PM »
The new owner could be any Jay Leno level
Collector or above. Which leaves a very long list of permanent residents of the USA.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »
My guess was David McNeil from Weather Tech or the Mecums...

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 11:56:49 PM »
Just for discussion, why not restore the Bullit Mustang to how it was at the start of the movie?  Look at the amazing work that has been done on the restoration of the first Shelby GT350 and 350R models, GT40 winners and other rare legendary cars.  Yes, expensive and needs to be done correctly, but not impossible.  It would then be o value in a glass box exhibition. 8)

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:06 AM »
The place to display the Bullitt Mustang as is- that would make sense- is the Dezer Collection north of Miami.
One of the Bond Diamond Mach 1 is there and a huge Bond collection as well as other movie cars (Batman, Monkeys, you name it).
They have enough money to buy.