Author Topic: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!  (Read 12209 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
Florida? March Pieloch at the American Musclecar Museum in Melbourne?

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »
It would be pretty funny if it ended up on Barrett-Jackson's Auction Block this Saturday night as a last minute entry!😁
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 10:17:31 PM »
The Donald  !

Bob,

Rumor has it that it may end up in Florida.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 04:50:21 AM »
it's good news ! it deserves to stay in USA !

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 07:28:57 AM »
Probably not Dick Rollins- His buddy Dennis is the money man... Maybe ;)
Dennis is worth 30 million and RR is worth 20 million-if you believe the internet. Both are now money men. Gary
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:56:10 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 07:34:29 AM »
I'm wondering how much the enthusiasm for that car will fall off now that it's had its couple of years in the limelight, nationwide tours, and media coverage. 

The auction sale ends the dreamy wonder of "who'll get it?" and "how much $$$ will it go for?"

I'm kind of done with all of that. I wouldn't travel out of my way to see the car, but would stop by the Petersen if it were displayed there for a while. 

Other thoughts?
Through work I saw the Bullitt car at the 2018 Detroit International Auto show before it was open to the general public and a lot of people there. I was disappointed on how the long time owner just let the car deteriorate knowing full well what he had. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »
I'm curious wether a "car enthusiast" ( collector ) bought it or a Steve McQueen collector bought it. I figure there are 2 different camps of individuals who would have ponied up that kind of money. Remember someone paid $17.8M for Paul Newman's Daytona Rolex.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
I saw it at MCACN in November. My thoughts were that it was in remarkable condition for a car that had operated in a salty / snowy environment for nearly 10 years. I think they took very good care of it and cherished it by the time it was put away in the early 1980's.

Would I trade my 401K for it? No!

I'm wondering how much the enthusiasm for that car will fall off now that it's had its couple of years in the limelight, nationwide tours, and media coverage. 

The auction sale ends the dreamy wonder of "who'll get it?" and "how much $$$ will it go for?"

I'm kind of done with all of that. I wouldn't travel out of my way to see the car, but would stop by the Petersen if it were displayed there for a while. 

Other thoughts?
Through work I saw the Bullitt car at the 2018 Detroit International Auto show before it was open to the general public and a lot of people there. I was disappointed on how the long time owner just let the car deteriorate knowing full well what he had. Gary
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
I'm guessing Dana & Frank bought it!

They worked pretty hard on stage to get the bid to $3.5M (without success) which makes me doubt that this is true.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
I saw it at MCACN in November. My thoughts were that it was in remarkable condition for a car that had operated in a salty / snowy environment for nearly 10 years. I think they took very good care of it and cherished it by the time it was put away in the early 1980's.

Other thoughts?

Royce, were you looking at the same car?  It was the green '68 fastback with holes from rust all over it in the big plastic box.   :o

But seriously, I agree with Gary as to the condition they let it become.  Sad.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
A man that appreciates patina, love it

I
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:57:54 AM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative with what I'm about to say, but IMO, "patina" is the most overused and ridiculous word in the car industry.  It simply means wear.

Yes, there are many, many, many nice old, original cars with "appropriate patina" for their age. When it helps to qualify the car's originality, that's a good use of the word, IMO.

But, I think most of us have seen real POS cars that someone is trying to pass off as being special because it has that magical word "patina."  In some of those cases, the seller is trying to get us to believe that tons of rust, a seized engine and a thrashed interior are cool because of the "patina."

It's almost as overused and mis-used of a word as "barn find."

I'm a word guy, so stuff like that bugs me.

OK, let the banana throwing begin.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative with what I'm about to say, but IMO, "patina" is the most overused and ridiculous word in the car industry.  It simply means wear.

Yes, there are many, many, many nice old, original cars with "appropriate patina" for their age. When it helps to qualify the car's originality, that's a good use of the word, IMO.

But, I think most of us have seen real POS cars that someone is trying to pass off as being special because it has that magical word "patina."  In some of those cases, the seller is trying to get us to believe that tons of rust, a seized engine and a thrashed interior are cool because of the "patina."

+1

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »

Patina, restored, concours all words used incorrectly in an attempt to elevate status.

The cheese stands alone...

JMHO
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »

you forgot frame off   and matching numbers

Patina, restored, concours all words used incorrectly in an attempt to elevate status.

The cheese stands alone...

JMHO
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member