Author Topic: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!  (Read 12212 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bullitt stays in USA !!!!
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2020, 06:40:22 AM »
SOOOOO, would you guys restore it or leave it exactly as it is?

I would leave it as restoring it, in my mine would take away the connection to the movie and Steve

As far as Patina, I really believe it started becoming fashionable when folks could not afford paint jobs. All of a sudden cars were around that had wear and tear showing and folks liked it (I most certainly do and a 66 Shelby with heavy Patina got me wanting one for a few decades) Of course the word is now used to describe basket case cars. I think it fits when a car is in otherwise driver shape but has paint that is polished through and maybe some rust but not excessive

I also like buying project cars with original patina showing the car has lived in its current state, wether original or long ago restored. This shows me that the bodywork done didn't fail in 6 months.

Just one guys opinion

Peter
  It was only movie original once and when the movie studio sent it out for refurbishment before selling it the patina went out the window on this car. JMHO. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2020, 08:13:00 AM »
Actually, McQueen had the car "dulled up" and dinged up so that it would look like a car that a detective on low pay would own. It's probably very close to the way it looked when filming took place, maybe a little more "tired" but not by much. Most all the original beefed-up underpinnings are still there, as are the mounts for the cameras.
5S071, 6S1467

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
+ 1 charge entry and your return on investment will be had quickly

The place to display the Bullitt Mustang as is- that would make sense- is the Dezer Collection north of Miami.
One of the Bond Diamond Mach 1 is there and a huge Bond collection as well as other movie cars (Batman, Monkeys, you name it).
They have enough money to buy.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
correct leave it as is as close to its original state, imagine all the dings, dents, scratches as it was driven through the Streets of San Francisco ( excuse the pun )

drive it to a local hang out and not have to worry about a rock chip or door ding.....priceless  !

then display and charge entry to view and get a fast r o.i.

Actually, McQueen had the car "dulled up" and dinged up so that it would look like a car that a detective on low pay would own. It's probably very close to the way it looked when filming took place, maybe a little more "tired" but not by much. Most all the original beefed-up underpinnings are still there, as are the mounts for the cameras.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
FYI
1)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2398200070196190&id=175673335782219&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

2)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2000801069936094&id=175673335782219&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

In this upcoming film, find out how the Bullitt Mustang ended up in New Jersey driven by a real detective named Frank, became a school teacher's daily driver during the gas crisis before being tucked away in a barn, a garage, hunted by Mustang enthusiasts worldwide and then revealed to the public on its 50th Anniversary! For the first time, the entire story of the Bullitt Mustang hero car is told with never before seen interviews from its previous owners including the Kiernan family that has cared for this famous car for over 40 years!

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
The place to display the Bullitt Mustang as is- that would make sense- is the Dezer Collection north of Miami.

Oops, short correction: obviously Dezer just closed early this year and comes to Orlando, maybe it needs a new start there with a movie car highlight? Worth to watch out.
http://www.dezercollection.com/

OldMil

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Leno

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Bruce Meyers would be my off the wall guess.

Regarding the potential of a restoration .......  even at a paltry $3.75M in the grand scheme, it's only original once.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »
Leno
Not the type of car he collects.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »
My guess is the Miller family in Salt Lake City.

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
My original guess was Craig Jackson, and still see that possibility.
65 GT350

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
As long as we are throwing out names....  John Staluppi. He sold his collection and has been buying more eclectic cars to replace them.