News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Calling Kranky...ID help on this Cobra at Stardust Raceway LV

Started by Richstang, January 18, 2020, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I can only guess, maybe it's csx2097 at Las Vegas on 10/3/65 driven by Fred Whitehead
(my guess is thanks to Kranky's Road Race results list)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

kranky

I don't have any photos of Fred's Cobra, but he was on the entry list at Santa Barbara in September 1965 with the same number (#27?)...and I do have Fred racing at this particular race at Stardust on October 3, 1965.  It's interesting to note a color change on 2097 (looks to possibly be a silver?).

Richstang

Thanks for the reply Kranky.

With you note on the September race as Fred's Cobra entered with the #27, we may have found a photo csx2097.

I'm emailing you the original photo which might be slightly large than what is posted here.
It does look like a light paint color and possible silver.

kranky

In checking the Santa Barbara entry list for Fred, the color of his Cobra is noted as Silver.  It also looks like another Cobra of unknown chassis number for Tom Blue is also on the Santa Barbara entry list....Tom's Cobra is also noted as Silver under race #1.  I did end up finding a picture of Fred's Cobra at the Santa Barbara races on the "Getty Images" site:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/sports-car-races-ascot-drivers-compete-in-a-variety-of-news-photo/163093898?adppopup=true

The second Cobra in the background hiding behind the hay bale I'm guessing is Tom Blue's Cobra?

Kranky

Richstang

Quote from: kranky on January 18, 2020, 03:49:01 PM
In checking the Santa Barbara entry list for Fred, the color of his Cobra is noted as Silver.  It also looks like another Cobra of unknown chassis number for Tom Blue is also on the Santa Barbara entry list....Tom's Cobra is also noted as Silver under race #1.  I did end up finding a picture of Fred's Cobra at the Santa Barbara races on the "Getty Images" site:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/sports-car-races-ascot-drivers-compete-in-a-variety-of-news-photo/163093898?adppopup=true

The second Cobra in the background hiding behind the hay bale I'm guessing is Tom Blue's Cobra?

Kranky

I never knew those Cobra's ID, but that is 5r001 in Santa Barbara.
Thanks for the link and matching up the silver paint color on Fred's Cobra.

Cobra Ned

If it's Fred Whitehead, I don't think the top photo is of CSX 2097. Its owner was Stanley Whitehead, the car was red, and it lacked the side vents in the photo. I suspect you are looking at CSX 2567, which was owned by Fred Whitehead, was silver, had side vents, and was raced in CA.

kranky

Thanks for the update Ned, I will make a correction to my list....the old Registry only has the Stanley Whitehead listing.

Kranky