News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ebay: Vintage HONE O DRIVE OVERDRIVE UNIT

Started by BGlover67, January 18, 2020, 11:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Not mine, but pretty rare to see for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHELBY-MUSTANG-GT-500-428CJ-9-inch-HONE-O-DRIVE-OVERDRIVE-UNIT/293419756548?hash=item44512e2c04:g:xwoAAOSwwJ1eGnur

This is the extremely rare and sought after overdrive unit for Yenko's, Shelby's and other high performance late 60's early 70's cars.  Fred Hone's custom 30% overdrive unit allowed race cars to be driven on the highway after a day at the races.  Had this for years, turns freely.  Includes the speedo cable, shifter and linkage rod, (everything needed to convert).  Uses the same yoke as your 9".  Will come with manuals.  These retail for over $3400.

$1500, no bids currently.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

I have wanted one of these.

Does anyone who knows these confirm this is the correct unit for the Ford SPEC differential?

I will ask him to post more pictures.

Hard to know what condition everything inside is.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

J_Speegle

Just got in so it will be tomorrow before I get a chance to look at some pictures and other documentation though it looks the part. Missing (would not have been  included with it originally) the pinion gear.  Have one in a 66 Mustangs also
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

Yes that is 9" unit. Just restored car that had one of these dealer installed. Pretty simple mechanisms

Quote from: TLea on January 19, 2020, 06:45:08 AM
Yes that is 9" unit. Just restored car that had one of these dealer installed. Pretty simple mechanisms

Is there anyone out there that can restore/service these? Parts availablity ok?

Buying one like this can be risky if it is beat up internally.

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 19, 2020, 01:33:27 AM
Just got in so it will be tomorrow before I get a chance to look at some pictures and other documentation though it looks the part. Missing (would not have been  included with it originally) the pinion gear.  Have one in a 66 Mustangs also

I assume the pinion gear is longer than stock?

That could be a tough find, no?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on January 19, 2020, 02:53:45 PM

Not that I remember for certain. Think its just the "normal" Ford piece

A few pictures of the ones I've collected over the years

NOS kit

There were two different versions of the third member attached style of drive
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

So, gear sets are machined in "sets".  So, you would need to know what the ratio of the used one would be, and, either have the driven gear for it, or where to get a new gear set.
  Still a cool thing under the car.  I saw one 66 Shelby with a Hone-O-drive about 25+ years ago at a local Shelby club show in Elk Grove Village ILlinois.

67 GT350

Maybe this is a crazy question, BUT doesn't that add a lot of weight to the Ford rear-end housing? Like if you hit a good size bump in the road, I am thinking of the suspension travel, what would the jarring do to it???
RARE  Signature Delete

KR Convertible

Don't you have to hack up your trans tunnel for the engagement handle/linkage to add one of these?    :o

gt350hr

Quote from: 2112 on January 19, 2020, 02:53:45 PM

That could be a tough find, no?

NO it takes the standard production Ford pinion gear ( or aftermarket as well) I was a dealer for them in the early '70 and built many of them.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

Quote from: 67 GT350 on January 20, 2020, 10:54:56 AM
Maybe this is a crazy question, BUT doesn't that add a lot of weight to the Ford rear-end housing? Like if you hit a good size bump in the road, I am thinking of the suspension travel, what would the jarring do to it???

YES!!!! All of the weight "hangs" off of the flange AND all of the torque input now has ALLOT more leverage when WOT is applied. This off and on loading caused flange breaks in high performance applications and IMHO led to their downfall.
    Randy

gt350hr

Quote from: KR Convertible on January 20, 2020, 11:17:14 AM
Don't you have to hack up your trans tunnel for the engagement handle/linkage to add one of these?    :o

In the many I did , the biggest problem was exhaust pipes. I did have to some massage work on one but it's been  almost 50 years and I don't recall which specific car it was. The shift lever attached to the tunnel ahead of the driver's seat and did clear the driveshaft but neededa total of 5 holes drilled.  "Dumping the clutch" as in drag starts , often resulted in a loud thump when the unit hit the floor pan. ( not a good thing)
    Randy

gt350hr

Quote from: 2112 on January 19, 2020, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: TLea on January 19, 2020, 06:45:08 AM

Is there anyone out there that can restore/service these? Parts availablity ok?

Buying one like this can be risky if it is beat up internally.

Basically a Borg Warner T85 OD ( trans) unit adapted to fit a 9" Ford diff. , so parts are available still.

Ugh,

Maybe I don't want one so bad after all.   :-\