News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ebay: Vintage HONE O DRIVE OVERDRIVE UNIT

Started by BGlover67, January 18, 2020, 11:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

"IF" you only use it as it was designed for, it does it's job and is a unique accessory.. That being said , "modern" units that bolt onto the transmission are superior and less troublesome.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Do any of the modern units, and that, (I assume Gear Vendors is the only one), activate with mechanical linkage like the Hone?

I know Gear Vendors rates theirs for huge power too.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on January 20, 2020, 03:11:37 PM
Do any of the modern units, and that, (I assume Gear Vendors is the only one), activate with mechanical linkage like the Hone?

Don't believe so - ran a Gear vendor on a F350 about 10 years ago. All electric control
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

pbf777

Gear Venders is an American (?) copy of the Laycock overdrive units.     ;)

Scott.

gt350hr

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 20, 2020, 03:30:19 PM
Quote from: 2112 on January 20, 2020, 03:11:37 PM

Don't believe so - ran a Gear vendor on a F350 about 10 years ago. All electric control

+1  all electric and smooth as silk. I have one on my F350 race car hauler and wouldn't leave home without it LOL.
   Randy

Do you push in the clutch when shifting into overdrive?

gt350hr

You can or just "wave" the gas pedal. I have an automatic and do the latter when I manually hit the switch. I also have an "auto" function that makes it feel like a factory AOD , but I rarely use it.
    Randy

Couldn't do it. Too many unknowns on the unit itself.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on January 21, 2020, 09:17:54 PM
Couldn't do it. Too many unknowns on the unit itself.
Keep in mind that you have to pop a hole in the tunnel and carpet for the lever used to engage/disengage action.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

Was the Hone-O-Drive ever available for purchase through SAI?  Did SAI ever issue it a part number?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: silverton_ford on January 29, 2020, 10:49:55 PM
Was the Hone-O-Drive ever available for purchase through SAI?  Did SAI ever issue it a part number?
I don't remember seeing it other then a stand alone advertisements. I just checked 11 different SA and Ford high performance parts catalogs from the 60's and early 70's just in case and didn't come across anything. If it was it was obscure.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: silverton_ford on January 29, 2020, 10:49:55 PM

Here are a couple of ads run in period magazines

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

Thank you Bob and Jeff.   I also looked through all of my parts books and catalogs and came up empty.

gt350hr

Being a "local boy" I can assure you the Hone OD was NEVER run in 5S360 as pictured in the ads. That car ran low 12's and would have dropped the Hone out on the track with Don's driving style. "On the floor and dump the clutch" was not safe with the Hone unit  because of the added weight "hanging" on the front of the standard grey iron housing and the increase in leverage ( against axle rotation) . I know from "customer experience" on a guy I built one for in '69. 4.57 gear ratio , wamed over 289 , 4spd and slicks. With two runs on it , there was "a clean up on lane one " LOL Hone laughed at me when I asked about a warranty , but happily SOLD me replacement parts. My customer never drag raced the car again. He switched to road racing and the unit lasted beyond his sale of the car.
   Randy

pbf777

We ran the Hone in the '70 Shelby for "street" use, which was particularly appreciated with the 4.88's,  but it was always removed for the drag strip, as the 427 T.P. had proven it would rip the guts out of the O.D. given the chance.

Back in them there days, I could the swap the 9" center in twenty minutes, and that was without air tools!      ;)       I'm a little slower now.       :-[

Scott.