News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Photos of paint?

Started by proford1, January 19, 2020, 04:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proford1

Hi i'm about to start paint on my 68 KR it is a candy apple red car. do any of you have a photo album showing your paint before the car was put back together, i did look at Pete's site and looked at what he had on there. im just looking for reference photos.  im planning to paint back sides of fenders red as thats kinda what im seeing in pictures. thanks in advance. Mike

Coralsnake

The back sides of the front fenders were red oxide primer with a minimal amount of body color overspray

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 19, 2020, 04:45:26 PM
The back sides of the front fenders were red oxide primer with a minimal amount of body color overspray

+1 Overspray/direct application that got to the back side of the fender would logically fall behind the efforts of the painter when then were applying a good full coat to important surfaces such as the wheel opening lip, the section that attaches or holds the front valance and headlight buckets as well as the rear edge that can be seen when the door is open.  You have to consider the angle of the gun when in use so the coloring will typically be logical and make sense

In this example its difficult to see a contrast between the red oxide and the red exterior color

On this one (again a red car) you can see how much paint (under the caked dirt)  got to the back side of the head light bucket pocket. A result of painting the wheel lip a few inches to the rear.

A different plant but some practices to show the range from nice - fair amount of paint to almost none all the likely result of which direction the paint gun was held while the exterior color was applied. Lime green car this time

Just to share - interior paint to the dash, doors and such was applied before the exterior color was applied
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

I know this is a bit off thread but my query is because it's shown in his picture. I noticed where the center trim/ ac vent would be there is a support/divider bar that isn't on any '67 I have seen, including mine. Is that prototypical for a '68 dash?

-Keith

Royce Peterson

It appears to be a 1967 - 68 Mercury Cougar which has an extra piece welded in the center of the dash where the speaker is mounted.

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 20, 2020, 01:03:16 AM
I know this is a bit off thread but my query is because it's shown in his picture. I noticed where the center trim/ ac vent would be there is a support/divider bar that isn't on any '67 I have seen, including mine. Is that prototypical for a '68 dash?

-Keith
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

proford1

Are you guys referring to the very first photo? if so thats not a cougar dash its my Shelby GT500KR if its not suppose to be there ford screwed up?   My car is a non AC car if that makes a difference.   Mike

Royce Peterson

OK I was mistaken - after looking closely at the photo I see the divider he mentioned. It's a Mustang / Shelby dash.

Coralsnake

The vertical support is there on all 1968 Mustang and Shelby w/o AC

Royce Peterson

+1

Unless some former owner installed a Pioneer Supertuner 8 track player in a huge hole hacked into that area of the dash......LOL! Actually not too funny because it's true. I am in the midst of installing a Vintage Air system in a '67 Mustang that has been in the hands of the same owner for 45 - ish years. He did it and now I have to fix it.

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 12, 2020, 07:13:37 AM
The vertical support is there on all 1968 Mustang and Shelby w/o AC