News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

6S2116 sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2020??

Started by Karguy, January 19, 2020, 10:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

6S2116 sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2020?? A good friend of mine sent me a picture of this car and thought it was going to run this weekend at Barrett Jackson. Did anyone see it run, White with blue stripes. I did not see it while I was watching. if so, what did it bring?
Thanks
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

camp upshur

Save for this singular notable exception (congrats to buyer & seller) looks like a near total collapse for early SAI cars at all three auctions this year.

chris NOS

i checked prices too and it's true my feeling the SAI didn't do so good and some other cars , like E-types were strong and market is keeping is level on the high side .

Shelby_r_b

Interesting, as I got the opposite impression.  At Mecum (where I was able to see the cars), the "not so good cars" from 65-67 didn't do well, and some of the nicer cars really hit it out of the park.

Here's what I saw (albeit virtually) this past weekend:

RM
67 GT500 (3114) sold all in for $224K

BJ
67 GT500 (2598) sold all in for $215.5K
67 GT500 (687) sold all in for $209K

As mentioned before, good cars bring good money.  I suggest that cars not drawing big dollars might be with reason - just my 2 cents.

Nothing beats a classic!

chris NOS

you were there and saw the cars,  your feeling has to be more accurate , me i only see the auction's pictures ! impossible to judge the quality of those cars !
it's like 4 years ago i thought market would go down because prices are so high , vw Bus, E-types, some Porsches , ect ... but t'looks like i was wrong and doesn't looks like its coming down...

Shelby_r_b

I always find the collector car market interesting.  It's hard to nail down where things are without a detailed inspection.  Yet, I've seen some really rough cars bring HUGE money as auction (as others have mentioned).  There seems to be a lot of subjectivity in pricing, especially at auction, regardless of condition / correctness.

And, from my limited experience, it seems that cars which spike up over night tend to come down quickly as well.  "Blue Chip" collectibles seem to steadily increase or hold even in time, while some slowly go down in value.  My reasoning is that true blue chip cars are already known by the market and people have a feel for their value / collect-ability.  When it comes to some Ferrari's (the Dino for example), overnight people can't get enough of them, and then the prices tend to settle once the initial wave of "I've got to have it!" wears off.

Of course, I'm partial to Shelbys.  And, there are other cars out there (non Ford products  ;)) that have been on a steady climb, especially after the crash of 2009.

In the end, I love thinking through the market and hearing other's perspective.  Truth be told: all of us would be loaded had we known what these cars would be worth today.  And, there's no substitute (at least for me) to getting out and driving them!  8)
Nothing beats a classic!

chris NOS

Chad

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 20, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Interesting, as I got the opposite impression.  At Mecum (where I was able to see the cars), the "not so good cars" from 65-67 didn't do well, and some of the nicer cars really hit it out of the park.

Here's what I saw (albeit virtually) this past weekend:

RM
67 GT500 (3114) sold all in for $224K

BJ
67 GT500 (2598) sold all in for $215.5K
67 GT500 (687) sold all in for $209K

As mentioned before, good cars bring good money.  I suggest that cars not drawing big dollars might be with reason - just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%  and I was at Mecum as well!

sfm5s081

2116 was a fantastic car! I inspected her and spoke with the owner for a good 30 mins. The only fault we're the stripes and some repro grass that was re-etched, and otc wheels. Well bought, almost well sold- he was expecting $2xx,xxx

Karguy

2116 lived in my town of Albuquerque NM. Including my car (281), I think that only leaves 3 maybe 4 66 gt350s here in Albuquerque. 192,500 inc fees is fairly good money for 2116. Call me weird but I really hate to see them leave.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!