News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Small block steering shaft vs Big block

Started by BGlover67, January 20, 2020, 09:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Did all Big Blocks have rag joints and small blocks have solid one piece shafts, or was it an early/late thing?  What's the final thought on this?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 20, 2020, 09:54:42 PM
Did all Big Blocks have rag joints and small blocks have solid one piece shafts, or was it an early/late thing?  What's the final thought on this?
Big blocks typically had rag joints. After approximately May 1 67 smallblocks did too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Here is a reference on the boxes with some background and decoding of steering tags:
http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

roddster

And any car ordered with the tilt wheel option AKA " the T-bird option" would have the rag joint.

J_Speegle

Currently conduction a survey and research on the subject but have collected a fair amount of data from late cars and excluding tilt cars (survey covers only Mustangs and Shelby's built at San Jose in 67) the solid steering columns were installed through out the complete production years to the last days before changing over to 68 production.

Just what the facts/data shows so far.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 21, 2020, 06:12:16 PM

Currently conduction a survey and research on the subject but have collected a fair amount of data from late cars and excluding tilt cars (survey covers only Mustangs and Shelby's built at San Jose in 67) the solid steering columns were installed through out the complete production years to the last days before changing over to 68 production.

Thanks Jeff.  I had not seen any rag joint late '67 GT350's but you've seen more than me!!  I think (?) #3002 did not have a rag joint.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on January 21, 2020, 06:20:40 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on January 21, 2020, 06:12:16 PM

Thanks Jeff.  I had not seen any rag joint late '67 GT350's but you've seen more than me!!  I think (?) #3002 did not have a rag joint.
Just another example of the Ford MPC not being always right.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Being the reference was to big block cars. Yes. They all have two-piece columns with the rag joint.