News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT500 rotors

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, January 21, 2020, 09:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I have a 6/13/69, Dearborn build date on my 69 GT500. I do NOT plan to show the car in national concours events, as an FYI. I am looking for a set of front rotors (without having to spend nearly $600) and have been told that the 70 large bearing rotors (even thought show wise, are incorrect) will work on the car with some changes to the tie rod ends. Is this true, or is there a way to make them work?  Safety is important.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on January 21, 2020, 09:32:43 AM
I have a 6/13/69, Dearborn build date on my 69 GT500. I do NOT plan to show the car in national concours events, as an FYI. I am looking for a set of front rotors (without having to spend nearly $600) and have been told that the 70 large bearing rotors (even thought show wise, are incorrect) will work on the car with some changes to the tie rod ends. Is this true, or is there a way to make them work?  Safety is important.
This is old problem .  Many have gone through the same issue.I suppose it depends on your expectations. If you want something that is assembline correct or are willing to compromise for another solution that although not assemblyline will work.  The reason why many spindles were changed on post March 69 Shelby is because the special rotor was hard to source . The most common fix is to use a regular 1968 69 Mustang spindle which will allow you source the still available 68/69 auto parts store rotor for that application(at least the one piece version) . You will have to use the smaller tie rod end with that setup but it will screw into the adjustment sleeve. You could also use a 1970 regular Mustang spindle which also used the same larger tie rod as the later Shelby. I am not sure the availability of the 70 Mustang rotor but think it is available at the auto parts store too. Sorry don't spend a lot of time trying to find the exact replacement rotor other then the Branda or NPD replacement. You will most likely fail . I would suggest anyone to not wait and buy the correct rotors while they can .It has taken about 15 years to go through the last run and both selling party's have expressed to me of little to no desire to make another run and hold on to inventory that long.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thanks Bob.  As always, your input is most helpful.  It looks like it's Branda time for me.