Author Topic: 2020 BJ Highest Grossing Auction Ever  (Read 3355 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 BJ Highest Grossing Auction Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
God bless our USA!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:26:05 PM »
Interesting that total auction sales at Scottsdale were down 3 percent according to Hemmings:
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2020/01/21/five-takeaways-from-scottsdale-2020/?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-01-21

from what I saw at Russo and Steele Sat night they tanked.....
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »
Great show i really enjoyed myself not to be missed for car guys if you've ever been ,so much more to do than just the cars if you wanna take a break.It's easy to get caught up in the moment though it was my 1st time bidding & it's little intimidating to say the least ,i bid  up to more than i wanted to pay for the 67 Dark moss green car luckily, someone came in higher at $190 & i didn't have buyers remorse on Mon Lol .But it all worked out ,i had already had another car in mind &  i pulled the trigger on that  car today ,just as nice  i thought for 140K  & no 10 % fee & seller worked with me on the bill of sale  ;)
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »
Great show i really enjoyed myself not to be missed for car guys if you've ever been ,so much more to do than just the cars if you wanna take a break.It's easy to get caught up in the moment though it was my 1st time bidding & it's little intimidating to say the least ,i bid  up to more than i wanted to pay for the 67 Dark moss green car luckily, someone came in higher at $190 & i didn't have buyers remorse on Mon Lol .But it all worked out ,i had already had another car in mind &  i pulled the trigger on that  car today ,just as nice  i thought for 140K  & no 10 % fee & seller worked with me on the bill of sale  ;)

Pictures please. 

Or it didn't happen.

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
I think Eight auctions in one place at the same time is just too much, buyers are spread wide and prices are being affected.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
The market prices continue to rise, and the circus act of auction week continues to impress. The something for everyone is the main draw in my opinion, the bigger auctions are where most of the action takes place but the smaller venues still have some respectable cars. My friends commented on some of the smaller auctions like are we shopping in our local grocery store parking lot? In the surrounding Scottsdale parking lots you will find many of the same vehicles that come up for auction. I hate to say it but it is becoming a whats your budget to go shopping venue. You can start out with an original 10k budget and you will find a venue for those cars, and incrementally go up and find your car in your price range. You used to find a smathering of all kinds of cars at all the different venues but not so much anymore, this just might push out the smaller auctions.

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »
The market prices continue to rise, and the circus act of auction week continues to impress. The something for everyone is the main draw in my opinion, the bigger auctions are where most of the action takes place but the smaller venues still have some respectable cars. My friends commented on some of the smaller auctions like are we shopping in our local grocery store parking lot? In the surrounding Scottsdale parking lots you will find many of the same vehicles that come up for auction. I hate to say it but it is becoming a whats your budget to go shopping venue. You can start out with an original 10k budget and you will find a venue for those cars, and incrementally go up and find your car in your price range. You used to find a smathering of all kinds of cars at all the different venues but not so much anymore, this just might push out the smaller auctions.

I read this a couple times, and can't quite understand what you are trying to convey.  I'm interested in your thoughts and was hoping you could clarify.  Are you saying that the auction venues are lacking variety or the opposite?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 11:52:47 AM »
What I was trying to convey is with particularly the Scottsdale auctions, without naming names but here we go. You have many opportunities to snag your dream ride, you have BJ- RM - LEAKE - RUSSO - SILVER ETC. Now here is what I was trying to share if you know what type of car you are after lets say a pick up truck, or a VW bug or a old sl 500 Mercedes you should know which venue has those... Typically within a 10k  budget there is a demand for that market. Then you have a misc. grouping of cars like old MGs, home built HOT RODS, your wifes grocery getter a nice newer car but ready for an upgrade you know where to go for those. As you move up the ladder for collectability and price range you should be able to figure out where to go to get those vehicles. You wouldn't go to BONHAMS looking for a deal on a low mile PINTO well maintained by a local grandpa, More likely you might be looking for a FERRARI 250 GTO or similar there. 20 years ago you might find anything at any of these venues but now they are getting more selective as to what they want to represent themselves with, so what you get is a type of car or price range of cars that they typically have for sale.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »

I agree and would add that even specific days of the auctions fit the general breakdown you've described 427heaven. Something for everyone seems to be the new norm.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 01:58:41 PM »
BJ auction has become known for a resto mod and Eleanor sellers paradise . Fun fact I learned out there is that the people who own the Eleanor trademark (ones from the first movie) have threaten to sue the auction house if they sell a car that is promoted in anyway with that trademarked name . Consequently BJ and most likely Meacum will not let a car go through without the official Eleanor blessing/license  paperwork from the trademark holder. For 35K you get the document (think fake diploma) which seller  proudly display and a set of emblems to put on the car in the typical spots. There is no requirement of build ,color or workmanship requirement that I could tell. That is a big piece of the profit pie that the Eleanor builders have to share now. You can sell a look alike car but it just can't be refereed to in anyway to Eleanor in display or verbal . I understood that "they" had possible boots on the ground at BJ and others checking for licensing infringement .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 02:30:07 PM »
BJ auction has become known for a resto mod and Eleanor sellers paradise . Fun fact I learned out there is that the people who own the Eleanor trademark (ones from the first movie) have threaten to sue the auction house if they sell a car that is promoted in anyway with that trademarked name . Consequently BJ and most likely Meacum will not let a car go through without the official Eleanor blessing/license  paperwork from the trademark holder. For 35K you get the document (think fake diploma) which seller  proudly display and a set of emblems to put on the car in the typical spots. There is no requirement of build ,color or workmanship requirement that I could tell. That is a big piece of the profit pie that the Eleanor builders have to share now. You can sell a look alike car but it just can't be refereed to in anyway to Eleanor in display or verbal . I understood that "they" had possible boots on the ground at BJ and others checking for licensing infringement .

...wow.  Had no idea.
Nothing beats a classic!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

In the docket I count eight "officially" or "fully" licensed Eleanor Tribute editions that sold through BJ.   The lowest price was $99,000 the highest was $330,000 (prices include buyer's fees)!!  Crazy money.   Six of them have Ford VINS with either an A, C or S code and two of them have a AZ VIN code (I assume that is a Arizona State VIN, I don't know for sure.).  One of those eight was a coupe converted to a Fastback.

The highest priced real Shelby product was a 1967 GT500 # 2598 sold for $214,500.00(with buyer's fee).

Amazing really that the Eleanor's are still pulling that much money.