Author Topic: Nice Hertz story in WSJ  (Read 3153 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Nice Hertz story in WSJ
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »
To read the full story, one has to subscribe to the WSJ.  I just can't do another account and password.  I have too many to keep track already.

Thanks for sharing

Cory

P.S.  I did an internet search and was able to bypass the WSJ required log on or buying a subscription and was able to read the article.  Give it a try.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:45:39 PM by 6s1640 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »
Cool story, thank for posting.

Cory, did you read the text under the picture?  I did without signing in.  It appeared to be the entire article.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
The black license plate series AUK looks too early. Mine had SRL when it was delivered to Hertz in February.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
My favorite picture that I shot of Holly on the Tour. She's a great lady, and she had an absolute blast!!

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »
Such a cool story!  Here it is.

Holly LaCroix, 69, a legal assistant from Oceanside, Calif., on her 1966 Ford Shelby Mustang G.T. 350H, as told to A.J. Baime.

My husband Terry and I were preparing to get married in 1973, and he had a friend who had this Shelby Mustang out in front of his house. The car was sitting there in the elements, and Terry kept saying, “You have to take care of it.” Ultimately, we bought that car for very little money right before our wedding. I spent a lot of time in the passenger seat, and we went through tires like gangbusters.

Not a lot of these cars were made. In the mid-’60s, the Mustang was huge, and Ford partnered with the racing legend Carroll Shelby to build the high-performance Mustang G.T. 350. Hertz bought a thousand of these cars for customers, calling them Rent-a-Racers. Cars were painted in Hertz colors, and the H in the name stands for Hertz. [When this car appeared in 1966, it cost $17 a day and 17 cents a mile to rent, according to Hertz.]

When Terry first thought about buying ours, he was hesitant, because he had heard that people would rent these cars, pull out the high-performance engines, and put their own in. When he figured out the engine was the real thing, he was thrilled. Most of these cars had automatic transmissions, but ours is one of the few built new with a four-speed.

When my husband got ill, the car was no longer his focus, and when he passed away, the car sat in the garage. I would start it every so often, but for seven years, it sat there.

Then one day last year a man named Lee Cross called me. How he got my number is a long story, but he knew I had this car and wanted to buy it. It was not for sale, so he told me about this G.T. 350 tour that he hosts. Every year, he picks a spot and hosts a gathering for Mustang G.T. 350 owners. He asked if I would come.

I am a shy person, and this was out of my comfort zone. But a lightbulb went on in my head. I thought: This car needs to get out of the garage. I thought: I am going to do this.

I started getting the car ready. Terry and that car were a source of pride in our neighborhood, and people came to me when they heard what I was going to do, to wish me well. The G.T. 350 tour was going to be in the Ozarks in Arkansas, and we would be staying in Branson, Mo. I shipped the car, recruited a co-pilot, and flew east in October. The tour started on Oct. 27—my late husband’s birthday.

For four days we toured the Ozarks. There were 25 cars, and the people made me feel like part of the group. For over 45 years, that car has been part of my life. I was so proud to watch it shine.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »
A.J.'s car feature in the Wall Street Journal is a highlight of my week. This is my favorite of all. Congrats to Ms. Holly for a) getting the car out of the garage and getting it back on the road b) joining a bunch of strangers for a week touring around Arkansas in the her Shelby. **Extra credit - she is driving a 4 speed!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:56:55 PM by JWH »

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:18 AM »
Great story - thanks for posting - hats off to her.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 03:31:19 AM »
Holly wheeled that car like a savy veteran.........and it's blown!!!!

Kudos to Lee for inviting her.....and some of the guys for preparing the car to ensure it would stand tall on the rally.

Great memories and big smiles all around.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
Holly was great fun to be around, she is like a teenager behind the wheel. Glad to have met her on the tour
Just talking to her will make you smile 😊, trying to follow her while driving will make you humble and just knowing her will make you a better person
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Such a great story. Thanks for sharing!
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:08 AM »
+ 1 and this is what it's all about getting the S H E L B Y brand out and about visible to the public. I commend all that took this journey, our hats off to you.
Thank you

My favorite picture that I shot of Holly on the Tour. She's a great lady, and she had an absolute blast!!

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:09 AM »
Great story and very nice of Lee to include her!  Lee is a very nice guy!!!

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
The black license plate series AUK IS too early for this car. If you look at the last picture doing burnout the car carried later year California plates at one time. Either the plates are reproductions (which are now available) or they came from an earlier California car and the originals are no long around.

Does anyone know the car VIN? Assuming this was a California rental there are about 25 listed as such.

Dennis

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
Nice job Holly .....and Lee Cross  ......  dont really care if the  plate is "correct"   This is a long time owner that  Goes out and drives the car  That is worth more than any correctness.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .