News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra Weber intake

Started by Iceman, January 22, 2020, 10:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman

Hi guys, i need your help. I have this Cobra Weber intake for over 10 years. I once bought it at a swap meet. I don't know if it is original or an older reproduction. Thank you for your help.

Dan Case

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

oldcanuck

I have a buddy in No. CA who has the identical intake in pic 1.

Is it original or older reproduction ?

Thanks,

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Dan Case

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 05, 2020, 11:30:09 AM
I have a buddy in No. CA who has the identical intake in pic 1.

Thanks,

BG

PM sent.
Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

SFM5S000

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: Iceman on January 22, 2020, 10:18:08 AM
I don't know if it is original or an older reproduction.

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 05, 2020, 11:30:09 AM
BG

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 05, 2020, 05:47:10 PM
Hush Hush stuff.  8)

Oh well, I guess the rest of us aren't going to be privy to the answer to the question?  Well, I guess those responding (via "PM") just don't want to admonish him in public for acquiring a reproduction?        :'(         If that is the case, that's sure nice of them.         ::)

Scott.

Iceman

So far I haven't got a useful answer :'(. If it's not original, why? Thanks to all, Roman

oldcanuck

Quote from: Iceman on February 12, 2020, 01:44:40 PM
So far I haven't got a useful answer :'(. If it's not original, why? Thanks to all, Roman

Welcome to the club......
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

acman63

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 12, 2020, 02:26:47 PM
Quote from: Iceman on February 12, 2020, 01:44:40 PM

Welcome to the club......

GEEZ: no need for that comment. Its not that easy  - people send you pictures and you are supposed to tell them how you can tell when some parts are near impossible to tell by pictures.  Its al ot different when you are holding it in your hand.  You got a reply  but one of the most knowledgeable cobra guys in the world,  if he can give you an answer definitely . he will . 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

I'm gonna' send a PM. Anybody want one? :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX2259

It is an original, why all the super secret stuff...........I don't know.

Iceman

Dan,
Thank you very much for your comments and detailed explanation. Now I'm still a bit irritated. You wrote me the following in your PM:

All reproduction I believe. Does not match the 1964 ex-Bob Johnson system I have or the spare original intake and studs on hand.
Dan

I also know that sometimes it's difficult to see details only on pictures and it's better to compare with an original part. But if you need detailed pictures pls. tell me.
I also didn't want a big disskusion just a reply to my post not to others. I really appreciate this forum for professional and very competent contributions.
Thanks for help

Dan Case

I apologize.

The intake in the first post of this thread is not just like the two known originals I have. One that I have in a complete induction system has continuous history back to Bob Johnson's use.  The intake in the original post might be a very late one, me commenting that is probably reproduction doesn't mean positively that it is.

I just deleted that previous long post mixing questions from two intake owners and replaced it below.

We can continue via direct contact if you wish.

Dan

COBRA lettered "Weber" intake, original or not?

Not the easiest question to answer based on most low resolution images especially when the intake is partially obscured by carburetors and ancillary components or just one to a couple of viewpoints are presented.

The common issues are covering all variants of Shelby American offerings 1963 -1967:
1)   There was not an original design but several.  Originally created while only 260 c.i.d. engines existed, castings changed after 289 c.i.d. engines were introduced. You probably know that there were versions with left and right bank carburetors facing different directions and versions with all the carburetors facing one way.  The beginning of a complex set of possibilities to be "original".

2)   Now that you have raw castings the next level of different original versions come into play in that not every intake was machined the same way.  Shelby American used and sold intakes in standard and light weight machined versions.  They also had versions machined for stock engines or for use with engines with milled cylinder heads. Intakes used on Shelby American team cars often, but not always, had port matching to a given cylinder head configuration depending in large measure to what racing organization the car was going to participate.

3)   Owner modifications. I won't try to cover every customization of an "original" intake I have seen.  Lots of the modifications, especially polishing the intake all over, confounds trying to figure out what it was when first made.  Modifications include some things done during "restorations".

4)   Reproductions of sorts. I will hazard a guess that at least five or six companies or individuals have made their own interpretation of casting patterns and how they were machined. Copies were for sale nationally mail order or phone in order by 1980-81. Being "old" or the seller had it for three decades doesn't count as evidence of originality. 
a.   Most of the reproductions are fairly easy to detect if out by themselves because their makers were not really trying to made absolute direct copies. 
b.   There is a version somebody created that can be very hard to detect as being a post production copy without having the one in question sitting right beside a known original.

1963-67 made "original", not all the simple without seeing them in person out by themselves or getting a really good set of pictures of them out by themselves.  Some reproductions are so far off one picture of them upside down is enough to make a firm opinion. There is one reproduction so close it takes thorough study to feel confident you have spotted it.

So? The so what is being comfortable with your expenditure or your sale as there can be a large difference in market value in genuine 1960s pieces and everything else. Some people prefer original period pieces and some are satisfied if something looks great when in use. Market wise, the most valuable original intakes are ones that have never been modified in any way including glass bead blasting. Unmolested after leaving Shelby American originals are the easiest to authenticate even if you plan modifying them.

Yes, on a case by case basis I have done authentication in detail with marked up macro pictures and commentary for sellers and potential buyers. I can offer opinions. There are so many variables in "original" and "reproduction" that global how to tell anything from anything else would be impractical in my opinion.

Dan Case