Author Topic: Cobra Weber intake  (Read 4524 times)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra Weber intake
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »
Ok, I'll bite.

These manifolds appear to have no provisions for a thermostat. Did they use a restrictor or restriction somewhat like these Moroso units for regular housings?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »
Ok, I'll bite.

These manifolds appear to have no provisions for a thermostat. Did they use a restrictor or restriction somewhat like these Moroso units for regular housings?

Bill,

No these manifolds do not have provisions for a thermostat. From what I've seen and experienced on cobras is the upper radiator hose went from the "Y" water neck to the temp sender (Smiths/early & S/W later) then to the radiator.
When these Webered cobras started venturing on to the streets guys like Jim Inglese developed external inline housings. Even earlier I recall owners sticking smaller diameter thermostats directly into the upper hose. Dan can elaborate on this with more info.
My personal experience currently is running an external thermostat housing that has ports to direct coolant flow to the water pump bypass as well as the heater/defroster just before the thermostat thereby allowing the thermostat to function as it should this being a street driven car.
Some guys run without a thermostat on the track which I understand, but the ones that attemp it on the street... I dunno.
That's my take.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:31:57 PM by SFM5S000 »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:48 PM »
Again, just my opinion running an original type Weber manifolds on the street just works better with a thermostat.

The first attached photos are mine. The unit and hoses are routed that way to clear the fan. Definitely NOT original, but I can drive in stop and go commuter traffic without over heating issues. I also run an R Model radiator and R Model oil cooler assembly which aids in keeping the temperature in check.

The last photo is a modern version of a "Y" waterneck with a built-in provision for a thermostat, cast and developed for the the BOSS302 Bud Moore Mini or Cross Boss manifold. This was designed and built by one of the guys on the BOSS forum. It also happens to fit the Cobra Weber manifold. Cast with the Ford oval (nice detail touch) This is not an OEM piece.

~E

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:35:06 AM by SFM5S000 »

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:47 AM »
Earl,
Somewhere back a long time ago I read an article where a Cobra owner described a Ford tractor in hose thermostat in his car’s upper radiator hose in the late 1960s or maybe early 1970s. Sounded interesting. When we installed the play engine in our red car I bought a new old stock Ford tractor thermostat. It was indicated that it started opening at 160°F, which was the stock Cobra unit rating. I tested it in slowly heating stirred hot water and it started opening right at 160°F. I made two modifications. The outer diameter has a narrow flange formed in for the tractor application that I removed. With the flange gone the unit fit inside the hose very well. The second was add a ring of tiny drilled holes around the valve seat near the tube wall to let air or coolant through. As made the valve was a pretty good seal. My ring of holes helped get the air out during first fill and lets a little water circulate all the time to bring warming water to the thermostat.

I think it works pretty well I think, even when we were caught in an unpredicted snow storm during a tour in the Rocky Mountains. The only external evidence something extra is in the circuit is a hose clamp where the thermostat is.  I will add, that our heater is connected and working so some coolant is always passing through that heat exchanger also. I would think that engine warm up would be a little quicker without a heater side circuit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:52:39 AM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.