News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 10 spoke centers

Started by 67 GT350, April 21, 2020, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 22, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
They are on the car now! I followed the advise and used my grinder, they came out OK....One thing odd there is a pin that goes through a hole on the plate, but the pin is too short on the center, LOL None were long enough....I just laugh....Anyway, I have a set of Magstars and those plates are totally different....there is no way they would mix them up.

I seem to remember many years ago when I got a set of centers through Ford, that the wheel centers might have been plastic? These are metal...Anyway, its all good now!
The original centers were plastic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 23, 2020, 08:56:43 AM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 22, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
They are on the car now! I followed the advise and used my grinder, they came out OK....One thing odd there is a pin that goes through a hole on the plate, but the pin is too short on the center, LOL None were long enough....I just laugh....Anyway, I have a set of Magstars and those plates are totally different....there is no way they would mix them up.

I seem to remember many years ago when I got a set of centers through Ford, that the wheel centers might have been plastic? These are metal...Anyway, its all good now!
The original centers were plastic.

Over the years I bought three original sets of wheels.

For some inexplicable reason, the most difficult things to get were the lug nuts and center caps so I can't remember ever knowing if I bought originals or reproductions separately?

Seemingly no one would sell them with the wheels? Weird?  :o

I don't remember when Ford parts stopped servicing them but I remember lots of folks selling service parts in real Ford boxes. It was like they were hording them or maybe thought they would be collector items?

In any case, I can't even tell you what "original" parts look like for these wheels. I will say that I have never seen plastic retaining washers for the caps but more and more rely on Prof. Gaines for historical accuracy.  ;D

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Done, picture just beat the SNOW!

I GIVE UP TRYING TO POST PICTURES SO THEY ARE CORRECT.... >:(
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR Convertible

Don't worry.  JD will probably fix it.   ;)

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

Looks good.... also looks like you dropped an inch after bias-ply removal ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Shawn

67 GT350

Thank you guys! Yes it did get a little lower with the radials. I had them lying around, 215/65/15, the 10 spokes really came out nice! Anyway, the car is a factory auto, the person who put it together put a 4 speed in it with 3:89 gears....I put it back to the auto, but left the 3:89's in it....right now I cannot drive it on the highway, as just going 55, not only is embarrassing but you get the feeling that something gone blow up! My options are, the obvious, switching to the correct 3:50's, which in several opinions will not make a huge difference. Right now the car has all sorts of power, if I only drive around regular streets, but not good to actually get on the highway. (That sucks).
Options are, AOD, Gears, Overdrive, increase tire hight in the rear.
Gears and possibly tire size, makes the mose sense, but then I will have a "DOG" in town, and that's no fun!
I also have notice through a phone speedometer app that if I am going 52 miles per hour on the dash, the app says I am only doing 40....Speedometer gear, but that's another thing, I know nothing about!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

If you are going back to the automatic the AOD is the most recommended. That is probably because it is easiest to install?

Before you decide though, look into a 5R55, 5 speed automatic. It will give you a 3.25 first gear and an od 5th.

You will need an "aftermarket" controller for it since they were intended to be used with the current cpu controlled cars and you need to splice the controller in.

I'm considering going to it but have been busy trying to finish other projects as of late and it isn't that easy to get the information necessary to put it into a car this old...but I'm working on it.

Incidentally, that transmission is what is in the 03 Mustangs that were tested out of the box as 11 second street cars. It likely is worth the effort.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!