News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Third member paint

Started by motorhead428, January 25, 2020, 01:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead428

I am ready to paint the third member or center chunk of our 67 Shelby. I have 2 questions. Is the paint sheen, flat, satin, or semi gloss ? Would anyone like to divulge the color of paint they use ? It looks similar in color to the red oxide from the floor pan. Thank You Rick

J_Speegle

Should have at least some sheen to a fairly glossy look to it. They were painted inside and out then the machining finished so don't forget that detailed bare spots. Many default to one of the epoxy primer sealers with a hardener very similar to what was originally used like the PPG product. Most of the times use it directly out of the can - its a closer match than IMHO than if you use the same on your floor pans. Typically (depending on where your car was built) the floor pans were muddier/browner in comparison - floor pans rather than front frame rails

Think you'll find like others have that its not not far off if you compare the inside of the case where its been protected from the elements. Tint a little if you want to get closer or exact

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

rockhouse66

This rattle can primer has a smooth eggshell sheen and looks great in this application IMO.  Unlike most red primers that are fuzzy/porous looking.

https://www.truevalue.com/anti-rust-enamel-primer-red-12-oz-spray

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rockhouse66 on January 25, 2020, 07:24:56 PM
This rattle can primer has a smooth eggshell sheen and looks great in this application IMO.  Unlike most red primers that are fuzzy/porous looking.

https://www.truevalue.com/anti-rust-enamel-primer-red-12-oz-spray
You will have to shoot a clear coat of some kind over that to give it enough sheen to mimic what came on the Factory part. Used that before and it is too dull IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Back on the SAAC Forum 1.0 someone recommended this paint for the chunk. It runs about $50 for the can so not cheap. I was pleased with the results and the finish is still holding up really well 3 years and about 1,500 miles later on our car.
Jeff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on January 26, 2020, 10:27:58 AM
Back on the SAAC Forum 1.0 someone recommended this paint for the chunk. It runs about $50 for the can so not cheap. I was pleased with the results and the finish is still holding up really well 3 years and about 1,500 miles later on our car.
Jeff
FYI Glyptal paint among its many uses is also used as a electrical insulation sealer (think starter solenoid rivet) and is a old racer trick used on inside rough engine surfaces so that oil flows faster back into oil pan.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Hasn't been too long but didn't somebody suggest to trim the gasket to the housing so it doesn't show?  Seems this was a week back or so.

gt350hr

Quote from: JWH on January 26, 2020, 10:27:58 AM
Jeff

It was me that mentioned Glyptal paint long ago. It is an excellent match and has the "low gloss" factor Bob mentioned. Most red primers are flat so ( again) as Bob mentioned , a light dusting of clear brings them closer to correct.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.