News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

CSX2286 Daytona mishap at Laguna Seca 2012

Started by SFM5S000, March 01, 2018, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM5S000

My friend Warren and I were two of three people taking photos on the inside wall of the end of the straight just after turn 5 just before it turns and heads uphill at Laguna during the Cobra race (that I was aware of). I was in the middle of a lens change (I shoot primes not zooms). I looked up and saw/heard 2286 swerve and heading directly towards our vantage point. I yelled at Warren to shoot this. This is what he shot:

I'll post the series in 3 posts as I'm limited to only 4 at a time.

Cheers
~Earl J

SFM5S000

Rob was not a happy camper in the second pic...

SFM5S000

Tim and I walked down to where the car was. I sent these to Rick who only printed half the pics into the 2012 Annual

~E

Richstang

Thanks for posting the sequence of photos.

That's a bad day for the Daytona.
:'(
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Greg

WOW, my hats off to anyone that runs a car like this!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427heaven

I cringed the day that happened and know many of the COBRA guys competing that weekend,we all laughed and said its only money and when you run with the big dogs sometimes you got to pay out BOO-BOO money! Sad for the car but when you are the wealthiest family in America you don't cry about it you send it down to Macluskies and say make it better than it was. Its only a race car for petes sake :'(

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

kranky

A hell Earl, I was just on the other side of the fence shooting the same photos at the same time.  Peter Brock was right next to me on your side of the fence shooting photos by the raised corrugated fencing above the tire barrier when the Coupe came right towards us and in to the tire barrier.  A very interesting day indeed.

Nice set of photos by the way.

Kranky

98SVT - was 06GT

I think this is the same corner that has claimed Les Linley in his MKIV and Alan Bolte in his R Model. There is a great set of photos taken during the MKIV crash. I'll see if I can find them. Alan's crash was due to the rear axle breaking and departing the housing.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

kranky

The Alan Bolte crash was on the old Laguna Seca track (1.9 miles) before the lengthening of the course for FIA approval (F1 events, etc.....2.238 miles in length now).  It happened just past the start/finish area as one crests the hill and heads down past the old turn one.  I remember Bolte being on the front or second row when the axle and wheel assembly darted away from the Shelby and caused a swift re-direction in to the concrete drainage pits/barriers lining the outside of the turn.  It was quite an eye-popper for several of the following drivers and fans around the track.

Les Lindley also wrecked the Mk. IV on the old Laguna Seca short course.....although I didn't actually see this accident, I do remember seeing the Ford GT being brought back in to the pits on the back of a Wrecker with lots of damage.

Kranky