News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT500KR unrestored

Started by Jack4159, January 25, 2020, 09:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Hello all,
I have just purchased 4159. it's on a train home now.The panels are in good shape, paint is in bad shape with a coat of clear to preserve, rear axle housing does not have the taper so may??? not be original.
Interior trim has never been touched, upholstery in good shape, woodgrain on dash is faded, original carpet in great shape, steering wheel and shift stick are incorrect.
Motor pulls hard and car runs and drives well, came from factory as 4 speed, highland green, factory air, tilt wheel, factory tinted glass.
So, what to do and I seek advice/feedback.
My thoughts are full restoration, panel, paint and engine work by the pro's, the rest me and an old school speedway mate.
I'm undecided about the interior, do I leave it as is?selectively restore ie do all the brightwork?Will that make the rest look tired?If I restore the woodgrain finish on the dash the doors and console will have to be done as well....what to do?
I will post a few pics and would value your advice on what restoration approach is best, or just leave as is?
I'm not looking at a concours car, but everything off, on the rotisserie and full top notch paint and paint.

Apologies for long post but I'm seeking the second owner , a Dr Robert Lee Dougherty of Poway CA.Dr Dougherty owned the KR for 40 years the first owner selling it to him after about 1 year of ownership and the third owner in Australia(who I purchased it off)doing only minimal maintainence type work in 10 years of ownership.So all the history resides with Dr Dougherty, he owned not only the GT500KR but also a GT350 so it's not unrealistic to think someone within the SAAC community may know of/him.Story goes he used to tow the GT350 with the KR(towhitch is still in place) to race meets.I would be grateful for any contact info, would love to make the story as complete as possible for this car.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Bigfoot

Congrats and welcome.
Proceed slowly and enjoy the process.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Jack4159

Sorry thought I had attached 4 pics, got it worked out now, pics attached.

Jack4159

OK I'm on L plates, another attempt with pics hopefully clearer  ;D

Coralsnake

Very nice, I rebuilt a twin to your car, Highland Green, 4 spd with AC.

Round up the missing parts, keep them with the car and drive it, save the restoration for the future
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

At the time the black side wall tires were not reproduced

pmustang

I too would drive and enjoy it. Once its restored you wont feel as confortable driving the wheels off it

I won't get my GT350 painted as I would not be able to take it out and feel as comfortable as I do now

Well I believe that is a 66?  Shelby aftermarket steering wheel and 69 Shelby wheels so you probably have some trade value there to get the correct parts.Congrats and good luck!!! Trent

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

I have seen some dealers added 1969 wheels to 1968 cars, don't be so quick to ditch those.

GT350AUS

Quote from: pmustang on January 26, 2020, 01:59:43 PM
I too would drive and enjoy it. Once its restored you wont feel as confortable driving the wheels off it

I won't get my GT350 painted as I would not be able to take it out and feel as comfortable as I do now

+1

I've been cautious to drive my KR (and 66 Hertz which bought after a full resto) since getting it back from the paint shop. It seems to sit on the 4 post hoist while i drive my Mach1 as it doesn't bother me if it gets a chip or dent from a flying stone, let alone the fools who can cause an accident due distractions like cell phone use

Enjoy it for now and restore it later once you've had some great memories in it.

That thing looks wicked with the crusty black paint IMHO 8)

Shelby_r_b

+1 on keeping it as is.

My 67 GT350 wears a black single stage paint from the late 60s. She's no beauty queen, and I get more comments when driving that then I do in my 66 Carryover. Part of the reason, IMO, is because people believe the 67 to be real due to the condition. There are lots of clones out there, and you almost never see a patina'd clone. My assumption is that people think the chances are higher that's its real with patina.

However, the true joy in the 67 isn't getting attention. The true joy is in driving in it's current state without worry!  It makes running errands a LOT more fun. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

hallelujah baby jesus can we get an amen !

+ another 1

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 26, 2020, 08:47:02 PM
+1 on keeping it as is.

My 67 GT350 wears a black single stage paint from the late 60s. She's no beauty queen, and I get more comments when driving that then I do in my 66 Carryover. Part of the reason, IMO, is because people believe the 67 to be real due to the condition. There are lots of clones out there, and you almost never see a patina'd clone. My assumption is that people think the chances are higher that's its real with patina.

However, the true joy in the 67 isn't getting attention. The true joy is in driving in it's current state without worry!  It makes running errands a LOT more fun. 👍🏻
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

chris NOS

I saw a 58 GT500 KR in  france with a clear coat added on cracking original paint to preserve it too , it's pretty cool , same advice like the other , drive it and drive it , enjoy it as much as you can and when you ll have the feeling to get a shiny 100% nice paint job then go for it !  ;)