News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT500KR unrestored

Started by Jack4159, January 25, 2020, 09:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

I think the popular vote is to drive and enjoy it. That's what I am planning on doing with my KR ( Raven black, air, 4-speed). Go through the mechanical's to make sure it is safe, and then hit the road!
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

FL SAAC

Excellent choice you wont regret it, enjoy it to the fullest and always remember...

Quote from: Peter L. on January 27, 2020, 08:02:57 AM
  I think the popular vote is to drive and enjoy it. That's what I am planning on doing with my KR ( Raven black, air, 4-speed). Go through the mechanical's to make sure it is safe, and then hit the road!
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

Quote from: 557 on January 26, 2020, 05:46:26 PM
That thing looks wicked with the crusty black paint IMHO 8)

+1
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

My 67 500 has the black repaint that was on it when I bought it in 82 which has gotten kinda crusty and flawed .Someday it will get repainted the original Wimbledon white....That is in the distant,distant future as it is WAY too much fun driving it like this.I don't trip out on every little flaw or feel bad about hammering on the car a bit.There are many,many restored cars out there (which you only see in a show setting).Not so many flawed driver type early shelbys seen on the street.Enjoy it now as a driver and you can always restore it later.Try it you'll like it!!! ;D

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 26, 2020, 08:08:46 AM
At the time the black side wall tires were not reproduced

Very nice, I look forward to the day mine looks like that.

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 26, 2020, 04:11:13 PM
I have seen some dealers added 1969 wheels to 1968 cars, don't be so quick to ditch those.

The wheels are interesting. To quote from the Shelby registry history for this car "on 6/5/69 the U-01 recall campaign called for replacement of 4 1969 Shelby wheels and 20 lugs." What a 68 car was doing with 69 wheels on it is unclear, but it didn't sell when new until 31/3/69, so maybe the first owner saw the 69 wheels and asked for the 68's to be switched when he bought it.

Jack4159

Quote from: 557 on January 26, 2020, 03:43:43 PM
Well I believe that is a 66?  Shelby aftermarket steering wheel and 69 Shelby wheels so you probably have some trade value there to get the correct parts.Congrats and good luck!!! Trent
It's a 68, and thank you.

Jack4159

Quote from: Bigfoot on January 25, 2020, 10:28:19 PM
Congrats and welcome.
Proceed slowly and enjoy the process.

Thank you.

Jack4159

Quote from: pmustang on January 26, 2020, 01:59:43 PM
I too would drive and enjoy it. Once its restored you wont feel as confortable driving the wheels off it

I won't get my GT350 painted as I would not be able to take it out and feel as comfortable as I do now

Seems to be the recommended advice here  :D Thank you.

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350AUS on January 26, 2020, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: pmustang on January 26, 2020, 01:59:43 PM
I too would drive and enjoy it. Once its restored you wont feel as confortable driving the wheels off it

I won't get my GT350 painted as I would not be able to take it out and feel as comfortable as I do now

+1

I've been cautious to drive my KR (and 66 Hertz which bought after a full resto) since getting it back from the paint shop. It seems to sit on the 4 post hoist while i drive my Mach1 as it doesn't bother me if it gets a chip or dent from a flying stone, let alone the fools who can cause an accident due distractions like cell phone use

Enjoy it for now and restore it later once you've had some great memories in it.

I hear you , sounds like good advice, thanks.

Jack4159

Quote from: 557 on January 26, 2020, 05:46:26 PM
That thing looks wicked with the crusty black paint IMHO 8)

Def looks like a bad boy right now!!

Jack4159

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 26, 2020, 08:47:02 PM
+1 on keeping it as is.

My 67 GT350 wears a black single stage paint from the late 60s. She's no beauty queen, and I get more comments when driving that then I do in my 66 Carryover. Part of the reason, IMO, is because people believe the 67 to be real due to the condition. There are lots of clones out there, and you almost never see a patina'd clone. My assumption is that people think the chances are higher that's its real with patina.

However, the true joy in the 67 isn't getting attention. The true joy is in driving in it's current state without worry!  It makes running errands a LOT more fun. 👍🏻

Yep, I think Im starting to get the message, thanks  :D

Jack4159

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on January 26, 2020, 09:17:40 PM
hallelujah baby jesus can we get an amen !

+ another 1

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 26, 2020, 08:47:02 PM
+1 on keeping it as is.

My 67 GT350 wears a black single stage paint from the late 60s. She's no beauty queen, and I get more comments when driving that then I do in my 66 Carryover. Part of the reason, IMO, is because people believe the 67 to be real due to the condition. There are lots of clones out there, and you almost never see a patina'd clone. My assumption is that people think the chances are higher that's its real with patina.

However, the true joy in the 67 isn't getting attention. The true joy is in driving in it's current state without worry!  It makes running errands a LOT more fun. 👍🏻

If I do a full resto I may not tell you guys  :D :D :D

Jack4159

Quote from: chris NOS on January 27, 2020, 03:23:22 AM
I saw a 58 GT500 KR in  france with a clear coat added on cracking original paint to preserve it too , it's pretty cool , same advice like the other , drive it and drive it , enjoy it as much as you can and when you ll have the feeling to get a shiny 100% nice paint job then go for it !  ;)

This all follows the same reasoning and seems like very good advice, thank you.