News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500KR unrestored

Started by Jack4159, January 25, 2020, 09:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Quote from: Peter L. on January 27, 2020, 08:02:57 AM
  I think the popular vote is to drive and enjoy it. That's what I am planning on doing with my KR ( Raven black, air, 4-speed). Go through the mechanical's to make sure it is safe, and then hit the road!

It's a landslide victory for leave it alone, at least for a while !!

Jack4159

Quote from: 557 on January 27, 2020, 08:04:46 PM
My 67 500 has the black repaint that was on it when I bought it in 82 which has gotten kinda crusty and flawed .Someday it will get repainted the original Wimbledon white....That is in the distant,distant future as it is WAY too much fun driving it like this.I don't trip out on every little flaw or feel bad about hammering on the car a bit.There are many,many restored cars out there (which you only see in a show setting).Not so many flawed driver type early shelbys seen on the street.Enjoy it now as a driver and you can always restore it later.Try it you'll like it!!! ;D

I think you guys are convincing me.....thanks everyone for taking the time to give your thoughts, it helps!!

Jack4159

A couple more pics while I'm here.  :D

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Jack4159 on January 31, 2020, 02:11:34 AM
  I think the popular vote is to drive and enjoy it. That's what I am planning on doing with my KR ( Raven black, air, 4-speed). Go through the mechanical's to make sure it is safe, and then hit the road!

You may want to add some correct parts missing like the SW console gauges and original shifter or buy them and put them aside for later resto. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

GT350AUS

Is it my iPad or is the car painted black. I note in the first post it stated it was highland green but most pictures look black with one of the LH fender and hood looking green in the most recent pictures posted?

Jack4159

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 31, 2020, 05:54:21 AM
Quote from: Jack4159 on January 31, 2020, 02:11:34 AM

You may want to add some correct parts missing like the SW console gauges and original shifter or buy them and put them aside for later resto. Gary

Thanks Gary, I have the original shifter came with the car, but what are "SW console guages"?

Coralsnake

Stewart Warner console gauges

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Electrical.HTML

I have a very nice pair for sale if you email me.

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

mk31755

the console gauges are incorrect.  it's hard to tell from the second picture but the center console, between the front seats, may have been changed , too.   Tim Lea restores old console gauges and would be a good source to start.

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350AUS on January 31, 2020, 05:57:43 AM
Is it my iPad or is the car painted black. I note in the first post it stated it was highland green but most pictures look black with one of the LH fender and hood looking green in the most recent pictures posted?

I think it's had a coat of black with patches of highland green showing... seller thought it was original paint as did his workshop who have been all over and under the car over the last 10 years and they could be right, they are enthusiasts and standup guys.....panel/paint guy in my home state will tell me in 30 sec flat when it arrives, he lives and breathes mustangs and runs a classic mustang race team.

Coralsnake

It looks like black laquer over the original highland green enamel. Laquer checks like that. If you find the right guy he might be able to save the highland green and careful remove the black. That would look very awesomely
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com