News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'66-'67 small block Air Cleaner Lid

Started by BGlover67, January 26, 2020, 10:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Before the crash, someone posted a great set of pics showing a repop chromed air cleaner lid vs an assembly line correct version.  Does anyone still have that pic?  I read on another forum that original lids weigh more than repops.  (14oz vs 24oz) . Anyone know if that is a reliable way to confirm?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 26, 2020, 10:24:37 PM
Before the crash, someone posted a great set of pics showing a repop chromed air cleaner lid vs an assembly line correct version.  Does anyone still have that pic?  I read on another forum that original lids weigh more than repops.  (14oz vs 24oz) . Anyone know if that is a reliable way to confirm?
Yes the originals are heavier however the visual contour aspect of the lid is the more important detail. Basically squared off transition edges apposed to the more gradual contours of the repros. Some of the new repros can be hard to tell from original .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Dimples where the wing nut can catch too.

BGlover67

Rodney,

I have four lids, three are heavy, weighing in at 24 to 28 Oz each, while one weighs only 14 oz.  All four have dimples, so I don't think we can use that as a criteria anymore. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

6S1568

Hi Brian, Check out this photo, I hope it helps. The lid on the left is a repop, the one on the right is assembly line.

6S1568

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 26, 2020, 10:33:35 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on January 26, 2020, 10:24:37 PM
Yes the originals are heavier however the visual contour aspect of the lid is the more important detail. Basically squared off transition edges apposed to the more gradual contours of the repros. Some of the new repros can be hard to tell from original .
Here are some pictures illustrating the original contours of the genuine lid.Some of the good repros are very close in original contour to their credit.  These details should be the first things that are inspected because they are the most visible clue's . The other details do not matter if the lid does not have theses details. If the contours match original then that is the time to move on to the more subtle details like weight etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

kingchief

Here is another photo that Cory posted a while back.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

BGlover67

That's the one!!  I remember that from before the 'Big Crash'.  Very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

kingchief

No problem!  I tried to save ALL the photos I can.  I saved a lot post crash.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

lawrence67

So is the blue tape middle one the original lid?  Not mentioned in the description.  Sharper and crisper bends the clue?
PL

JD

OK, so which/who offers the Best Repro?

The online and catalog images are not clear enough to get a good read on accuracy.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

I will add that there are at least 2 different versions of the outer lip area.  One turns down more than the other. The other more of a flare.

Jon

Harris Speedster

Quote from: lawrence67 on January 27, 2020, 10:46:33 PM
So is the blue tape middle one the original lid?  Not mentioned in the description.  Sharper and crisper bends the clue?
PL

I would like to ask the same question, blue tape pic?

So 14 OZ is a repop, and give or take, 24-28 OZ is real, is that correct?
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7