News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

source reference help

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, January 27, 2020, 09:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I am working on a 6/13/69, actual build date, Dearborn, 1969 Shelby GT 500 fastback. I would like to ask all for your opinion, and hopefully your assistance, in order to be as accurate as possible for the build of my car. For reference, I am using the K. A. Helm, 1964 ½ through 1973 mustang detailing guide as my ROUGH outline. I am aware that most sources like this do have inherent flaws. This is not my only source, as I am using references from the Concours Mustang forum and the SAAC forum (And especially their highly knowledgeable members), 428 cobra jet, Anghel's, etc. However, based on my car, going back to the Helm manual (since it is my primary worksheet because it is extremely inclusive of most items on the car), has anyone come across any obvious errors that you could share with me so that I don't make a grievous mistake? And if anyone would like to share some additional sources that I should refer to, it would be greatly appreciated.

Coralsnake

Never heard of that source. Your best guides are original cars and the forums you mentioned. I might also siggest s trip to SAAC or Tulsa to see some restored cars

Special Ed

Best to buy a set of 69 assembly manuals first.

Bob Gaines

Excellent suggestion Ed. Assemblyline manuals are not to be confused with the single book shop manual. Here is a link to the assembly line manuals used to outline how the cars were put together and what parts and fasteners were used. https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=assembly%2Bline%2Bmanuals&top_parent=200001&year=1969       . You will also need the AMK guide to fasteners book to understand the numbers ford used for each fastener (nuts,bolts etc.) It will also tell what finish on each also. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-fastener-guide-over-10-000-fasteners/p/BKFG/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvYnw6qyk5wIVCr3ACh2f1greEAQYASABEgJp6vD_BwE
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Although not perfect in every aspect the assemblyline manuals will give a multitude of more correct information then wrong information. If a original example car is not available the manuals will save countless hours in answering questions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Agree with the others. Owners and shops need to know that there is no one stop/resource or easy button that will produce a correct restoration in most cases. It will take many threads and questions and for a Shelby don't ignore the Mustang brethren as a source for some details. Remember to focus on same plant, time period as well as how the cars were equipped.

We're learning new things all the time so as mentioned forums are a great place since the information gets almost immediate peer review for clarity and correctness. Older posts can be helpful but not a bad thing to check to make sure that there is not better or more current information available

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thank you all for the responses.  I do have the assembly manuals and shop manuals. However, I am looking for information concerning those same components, but what they have for finish (Paint, Cad, Zinc, natural, etc.) and the color and texture (black, silver... - gloss, semi-gloss, matt, etc,) and paint code markings (yellow stripe, blue and white stripe). I have attached a page from the K.A. Helm manual for a 1969 Mustang built for my date, but it does not reference any plant distinctions.  I just don't know how accurate this  information is, especially as it pertains to the Shelby. Your thoughts please.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on January 27, 2020, 03:21:57 PM
Thank you all for the responses.  I do have the assembly manuals and shop manuals. However, I am looking for information concerning those same components, but what they have for finish (Paint, Cad, Zinc, natural, etc.) and the color and texture (black, silver... - gloss, semi-gloss, matt, etc,) and paint code markings (yellow stripe, blue and white stripe). I have attached a page from the K.A. Helm manual for a 1969 Mustang built for my date, but it does not reference any plant distinctions.  I just don't know how accurate this  information is, especially as it pertains to the Shelby. Your thoughts please.
Many discrepancies or inadequate information on the given part in that text. It may have been state of the art at the time of printing but certainly it is considerably short of that now.  If you take it at face value you will be in for some disappointment. FYI the assembly manuals will give the finish on all of the fasteners listed if you cross reference with the AMK manual I mentioned. As mentioned there is no one stop EASY button reference book . It will take a combination of reference books,personal observations by others to get to a high level historically accurate restoration. To add to this we are still learning new information that has effect on already written restoration texts. You are not the first and no doubt not the last to experience frustration in this regard. FYI a lot of suspension paint markings and locations are listed in the assembly manual illustrations . Sometimes you have to go over the page several times before seeing them. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on January 27, 2020, 03:21:57 PM
............... I just don't know how accurate this  information is, especially as it pertains to the Shelby. Your thoughts please.

IMHO toss it as well as the Detail Book/Guide if you have that one also. Takes too much effort to wade through what is out of date or wrong and what may be correct and you run the risk of not checking a details and getting ti wrong. Also there are examples of paint marks listed in the later MPC's (what many of these are based on) that listed not the original paint marks but the marks on the replacement piece. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi---I went the route you are describing, just to find out that I spend enormous amount of resources [MONEY AND TIME] on items that were not even remotely correct---please listen and worship advice you are getting from members with single reason target , that is to preserve integrity and history of our cars. Also I read every blog and articles from past blogs, they are great help.--GOOD luck-john   

TOBKOB

QuoteAlso I read every blog and articles from past blogs, they are great help.--GOOD luck-john   

+1   I spent every spare minute for 3 or 4 years researching and reading all the post on this and Concours Mustang forum before and while restoring my car and it has paid off in time and $$$.   :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970