News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500 Starter Motor Replacement

Started by charlie D, January 28, 2020, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Thank you for posting the part numbers!
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: gt350hr on February 05, 2020, 02:32:56 PM
   Thank you for posting the part numbers!

🍻

I wasn't familiar with the PGMR starter you mentioned so I looked it up and was sharing the article and link.

1967 eight barrel

It wouldn't be wise for use on a Shelby being it requires some re-wiring that can't be hidden.

-Keith

TedS

RobbMc requires some minor wiring changes also but they are easily reversed if going back to stock starter. If you haven't already, the installation instructions can be downloaded from the RobbMc website, at the bottom of the FE starter webpage. I made my own cables so I got the following from RobbMc....

"The terminal sizes on the RobbMc starter. They are actually metric sized terminals, even though the motor and solenoid are stock items on late model Ford V8 and V10 engines.
The large terminal is 8mm, which is virtually the same as 5/16", so we suggest using a 5/16" ring terminal on the battery cable. The small terminal is 6mm, a bit smaller than 1/4", but not small enough to use a 3/16" ring terminal, so we suggest using a 1/4" ring terminal on the solenoid cable.

Ted

Funny that RobbMC would mention that it is metric even though it is a late model Ford part.

Fords have been 100% metric for decades. Or at least since they dropped the last Windsor engine offerings which was what? 18-19 years ago?

TedS

Quote from: 2112 on February 06, 2020, 09:46:43 AM
Funny that RobbMC would mention that it is metric even though it is a late model Ford part.

Fords have been 100% metric for decades. Or at least since they dropped the last Windsor engine offerings which was what? 18-19 years ago?

I think he was  understanding some of us old codgers never quit got the memo. I'm glad to know the RobbMc FE starter is still basically a Ford part.

Ted

Quote from: TedS on February 06, 2020, 01:20:59 PM

I think he was  understanding some of us old codgers never quit got the memo. I'm glad to know the RobbMc FE starter is still basically a Ford part.

Ted

+1

1967 eight barrel

RobbMC starters were Toyota based products unless they've changed in recent history.

Dalton

What starter would y'all recommend for a GT350?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Tusk on February 12, 2020, 01:40:19 PM
What starter would y'all recommend for a GT350?
A stock Ford starter should be adequate for the majority of 289/302 applications. The Big Block is the engine that has problems even with a unmodified engine with hard starting. If high compression and hot climate are a issue on a given 289/302 engine then the same gear reduction drive type starter can be used . Most likely the same brands as being discussed also have a SB offering . Summit has a house brand gear reduction drive for the SB Ford that is inexpensive for instance.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

charlie D

I finally have the Robb Mc starter installed and it is a significant improvement. Cranks faster on initial start up and no more slow cranking when hot so the heat sink issue is gone. Like many of us, I am an old shade tree mechanic, so challenges are part of the enjoyment. I attempted to do the install myself with the car up on jack stands. There was no way I could even feel the top bolt much less see it to begin to take the original starter off. My car has headers and maybe that made reaching around even more difficult. I resorted to a buddy who has made a living building hot rods to do the install. His young 30 something year old helper with long, thin, arms and flexible wrists did the job helped by some grunting and profanity even with the benefit of working under a lift. I'm glad its done. It was worth the effort and the $ spent.

The Going Thing

Quote from: charlie D on March 28, 2020, 12:44:34 PM
I finally have the Robb Mc starter installed and it is a significant improvement. Cranks faster on initial start up and no more slow cranking when hot so the heat sink issue is gone. Like many of us, I am an old shade tree mechanic, so challenges are part of the enjoyment. I attempted to do the install myself with the car up on jack stands. There was no way I could even feel the top bolt much less see it to begin to take the original starter off. My car has headers and maybe that made reaching around even more difficult. I resorted to a buddy who has made a living building hot rods to do the install. His young 30 something year old helper with long, thin, arms and flexible wrists did the job helped by some grunting and profanity even with the benefit of working under a lift. I'm glad its done. It was worth the effort and the $ spent.

Do you have Hooker Headers on your vehicle?  Free advice that works.
1. Remove the positive terminal.
2. 12" 1/4" drive extension.
3. 1/2" standard depth socket
4. 1/4" ratchet or 3/8" with 3/8" to 1/4" adapter.
5. 1/2" Box-Open end wrench
6. Remove the top starter bolt with 1/4" drive extensions and socket.
7. Remove side bolt with the same tools as above.
8. Loose bottom bolt, allow started to lean down towards floor, support nose with hand remove nut from starter cable.
9. Remove the bottom bolt and drop the starter down. If it's too heavy for you to handle with one arm, lower it down on your chest and roll it off onto the ground.
10. Reverse order for reinstallation.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Doug?  Is this from personal experience? <snicker>

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 28, 2020, 01:30:03 PM
Doug?  Is this from personal experience? <snicker>

Want a list of injuries? When I show you the two scars on my left hand, your peepee is going to feel funny and you will feel faint.  ;)

It does strike me though as to why I'm still around? For one thing, I fully expected to be shot dead by now?

It got so bad, I had to be careful how I carried myself coming in for supper. If I didn't, wifey would grab her car keys and ask, are we going to the ER now?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!