News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration shop owner indicted for fraud

Started by stephen_becker, January 28, 2020, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen_becker

Really sad when something like this happens and even sadder that it reflects upon the industry as a whole which is neither fair nor accurate but perception is everything these days.

https://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2020/01/restoration-shop-owner-indicted-by.html?m=1

shelbymann1970

What has confused me has always been the prices people paid for Yenko and ZL1 clones. You could build one a lot cheaper than what they sell for I would think. ZL1 of course more with an all AL engine. I know a guy here on the forum  who also reminds me of Robert Redford  ;)  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Greg

Unfortunately that is more common that anyone would care to admit.  Always, always check references and do a google search on a perspective shop.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CobraJetSet

I always wondered how he built cars for the bid amounts.. There is always an auction going with a photo of a black ZL-1 clone.

Rukiddin

Guys,look around you and ask questions about our very own members.....Some have a history of  proclaiming  being honest and years of being involved in our hobby. Some have proven to be very honest and I would trust in any situation. Others have taken advantage of my friends and myself. Please check all sellers and be prepared ....history is not enough to risk your money/goods. I learned the hard ($) way.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rukiddin on January 28, 2020, 05:50:20 PM
Guys,look around you and ask questions about our very own members.....Some have a history of  proclaiming  being honest and years of being involved in our hobby. Some have proven to be very honest and I would trust in any situation. Others have taken advantage of my friends and myself. Please check all sellers and be prepared ....history is not enough to risk your money/goods. I learned the hard ($) way.
+1, sad but true.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

QuickSilverShelby

Ominous words.  Sad but true I suppose.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

FL SAAC

true indeed

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

I have heard many horror stories over the years. I have been fortunate as in I have done many cars and the only problem I ever had that couldn't be resolved was a black paint job on my 69 Boss 429 back in 1987 from my cousin. I may had to wait longer than expected a few times for work to be completed but doing the assembly, detailing and much of the small parts restoration myself it help eliminate the odds on being ripped off. My GT350 vert chrome was in a shop when the owner walked away many years ago but another chrome shop stepped in and finished all customers work. I was lucky on that one. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Grumpy

TOBKOB

sadly a man's word is nothing anymore.

That depends on the man   :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

+1

98SVT - was 06GT

Images of J Brunk and Beverly Hills Mustang come to mind. CS had an employee who spent over 40 hours on each of the convertibles he got fixing problems. I got a call from a 68 GT500 owner who had a restoration done there only to find rusty floor pans not replaced but covered with undercoat and carpet glued down.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless