News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

70 Conv with state assigned VIN.

Started by JohnB, January 28, 2020, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnB

https://autos.yahoo.com/seized-shelby-mustang-counterfeiter-collection-173208393.html

Proceeds from the sale of these seized cars will go to the county's district attorney's office.

The Pottawatomie County (Oklahoma) District Attorney is auctioning off six Ford Mustangs that were seized from an Oklahoma lawyer, Kermit Milburn, who was accused of creating knockoff Shelby Mustangs tampering with Mustang VINs and knowingly trying to pass them off as legit Shelby models. Just days after being served with a search warrant in 2016, Milburn committed suicide.

Of the six seized Mustangs, two are Boss 302s and two are Shelby GT500 Convertibles, but it isn't known whether or not these cars are fakes. Because of this, all five of the classic Mustangs now wear state-assigned VINs even though each has its own Marti Report, and while the 2006 Mustang has its original VIN, it also has a salvage title.

All six cars are being sold at no reserve with the money going back to the Pottawatomie County District Attorney, and the live auction starts on February 8, 2020; online bidding is already live.

0F03R481669

https://www.proxibid.com/1970-Mustang-Shelby-Roller-NO-RESERVE/lotInformation/52170041

0F03R481876

https://www.proxibid.com/1970-Shelby-GT500-Convertible-NO-RESERVE/lotInformation/52170033

SCJSTU

Shelby did not sign the dash.......soooooo
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Coralsnake

This is part of the Shawnee, OK fraud case. Its been discussed on the forum. Unfortunately, these cars are now tainted with the state issue VIN numbers.

tesgt350

"but it isn't known whether or not these cars are fakes." .........................and YET, they are pushing them as SHELBY'S.............

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on January 28, 2020, 07:34:28 PM
"but it isn't known whether or not these cars are fakes." .........................and YET, they are pushing them as SHELBY'S.............
That is because they have no clue on how to determine if they are genuine or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Don Johnston

Why would someone remove the original VIN of a real Shelby?  I believe the answer is obvious. 8)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Don Johnston on January 28, 2020, 08:34:31 PM
Why would someone remove the original VIN of a real Shelby?  I believe the answer is obvious. 8)
Don,I don't think that is the issue here. I suspect that some kind of vin original looking or not is there but given the implication of possible air cars those Shelby VIN's may or may not be genuine to the car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The people building these cars were not smart.

corbins

The package wrapped roll bar seems wrong to me :)  Someone was gonna make a Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: corbins on January 30, 2020, 06:57:41 PM
The package wrapped roll bar seems wrong to me :)  Someone was gonna make a Shelby
The car may be all wrong however many restorers wrap the roll bar to protect it so that it doesn't get damaged during paint ,assembly etc.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: corbins on January 30, 2020, 06:57:41 PM
Well there is a few little things to check out that those making fakes seem to miss that if looked at closely could help determine if the body was a 69-70 Shelby from the beginning.   Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

roddster

Plenty of boxes from Branda.  No knock on Branda, but, it should make you think twice.