Author Topic: NorCal SAAC event Up close and personal with the Fliptop Cobra CSX2196  (Read 16754 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
This is one of the luxuries of being in the NorCal region of SAAC. How can you not love it. This was also a few years back on a gorgeous day, Mini Nats 25 I think it was. Anyway, enjoy the photos from my perspective, as it's rare to have a car like this in front of you to freely photograph.

Cheers,
~Earl J

p.s. pardon the multiple posts. moderator please advise if it's too much

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
text

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
text

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
text

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
text

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
The last image is my favorite.

Cheers
~Earl J

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Another great sequence of photos for a very unique Cobra. (No pardoning needed for multiple posts sharing great photos! Thank you)

It must be tough getting into or out of with the drop down gullwing doors.
CSX2196; I see an all out purpose built race chassis with a couple of hinged body panels that look similar to a Cobra. I do not see a "turd".
Nice!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Royal Kreiger drove it to SAAC 1 in Oakland. If I remember it was silver then and called the Pelican. It really wasn't a hero drive since he lived nearby.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Royal Kreiger drove it to SAAC 1 in Oakland. If I remember it was silver then and called the Pelican. It really wasn't a hero drive since he lived nearby.

Yes, you are correct. It was at SAAC1, but I saw it parked. Rich Rodeck painted it from the silver it was back to Guardsman blue at Jack Schroll's shop in Oakland. Speaking of Jack, 6S001 (who owned it at the time) was at SAAC 1 as well but only as a painted white shell on a trailer.

Cheers
~Earl J

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Yes, you are correct. It was at SAAC1, but I saw it parked. Rich Rodeck painted it from the silver it was back to Guardsman blue at Jack Schroll's shop in Oakland. Speaking of Jack, 6S001 (who owned it at the time) was at SAAC 1 as well but only as a painted white shell on a trailer.

Cheers
~Earl J
Jack owned it then. He had just finished painting it. One of these days I'll dig out the slide I have of it on the trailer. The only other car that was on a trailer was a CSX3000 series with a 3 window coupe body on it. For the ridiculous price of $6,000 but that included another 10 wheels that were in the bed of the truck. Duane Bowers had his 427 there fresh from it's Gumball Rally repaint - someone leaned on it by the rollbar and left a dent. He was not happy.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal SAAC event Up close and personal with the Fliptop Cobra CSX2196
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
I have some pics I took at SAAC 1, not many but some. I'll see what I too can dig up.

~E

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
When posting pictures like this, you post ALL you want!

I am looking forward to seeing pictures from SAAC1 as well.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »
Yes, please DO NOT stop the flow of pics...PLEASE!
Nothing beats a classic!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
Somewhere in a box in my closet I have a photo of this car after it hit the wall at the Portland (PIR) historic races in the late 1990's.  Something happened to the brakes and the front corner hit into the wall pretty hard.  The car also tangled with one of the Edelbrock sister's 66 GT350's during the accident.  He was able to limp it to the pits on it's own power.  I didn't get the full story at the time.  I just remember it limping through the chicane on it's way to the pits because I was sitting in the grandstands across from the chicane. Once I made it to the pits the car was loaded up in the enclosed trailer and I wasn't able to see it up close.  The Edelbrock car had some new dents as well but nothing as major.

Migge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Yes please,

Let the pics come from SAAC1