Author Topic: Gear shifter Reverse Lockout mechanism left me stranded today  (Read 2213 times)

GT350AUS

• View Profile
Gear shifter Reverse Lockout mechanism left me stranded today
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
When I got my KR the 4 speed shifter had a nail in the lockout pull-up lever to attach the reverse cable lock out.

I replaced it with a roll pin of tempered sprung steel. All was good until today.

Went for a drive in the countryside and stopped for a coffee. When I got back into the car and tried to select reverse the pull up lever had lost the roll pin and the cable was gone down the shaft. My assumption is that pull u the ever compresses the roll pin and it can move out of its rest posting in the lever under the knob.

If i put another roll pin in I’m afraid it may happen again.

If I put a nail back in it is wrong and feels bad between my fingers.

What has everyone else done to solve the problem........roll pin I’m guessing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:43:47 PM by GT350AUS »

GT350AUS

• View Profile
Re: Gear shifter Reverse Lockout mechanism left me stranded today
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
So just wondering if someone can add light as to what the correct fitting is to secure the cable in the shift...is it a roll pin or something with a head or grub screw?

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:49 PM »
It's a roll pin

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »
Last time i replaced the roll pin i did with the the shifter in the car but I think i will take it off and work on the bench.

Is there any issues in unbolting the 2 bolts from the shifter to the linkage mechanism that i should watch out for or is it a straight unbolt and remove with the cable coming with the shift

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
Best way to service it is on the bench. Remove the two bolts and the shifter slides out. There are cups and springs on the side of the shifter just make sure they don't fall out.

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
So its the same as the 65/66 Shift with the the pull up lever, because I’ve pulled that one out and the cable is part of the shift

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
Last time i replaced the roll pin i did with the the shifter in the car but I think i will take it off and work on the bench.

Is there any issues in unbolting the 2 bolts from the shifter to the linkage mechanism that i should watch out for or is it a straight unbolt and remove with the cable coming with the shift
Yes you will have to take shifter out to solve your problem whether you replace it or fix it. The problem is that the carpet typically has a small hole cut into it for the shifter handle and boot. You have to remove the shifter boot to access the bolts holding the shifter. If you enlarge the carpet hole enough to take the 4 shifter boot fashioners out then you run the risk of the shifter plate not covering the cut marks for enlarging the shifter hole. There is a certain amount of maneuvering that can be done but the correct way is to take the front seats out and door sill plates so that you can flip the carpet up and gain access to the boot. I would not suggest cutting the carpet to gain access as it typically doesn't turn out well.  I have gotten good at removing the 2 shifter bolts without taking the seats out but that is typically because I am removing the trans for one reason or another and allow the trans/shifter to drop down low enough to get to the bolts holding the shifter handle . I let the shifter handle hang in the boot because I don't need to remove it for what I am typically doing. FYI you can't get to the boot fashioners to remove boot and shifter with that process.   Anyway wanted to let you know some of the pitfalls of removing the handle . Hopefully with advance knowledge of what your obstacles may be you can side step problems and ultimately save time and keep from tearing up carpet . Best of luck with the project. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 10:10:26 PM »
I remove the drivers seat so you can remove the console. You then can peel up the carpet to access boot bolts, slide the boot up and access the shifter bolts. I haven't had to cut the carpet, but you could because the console will cover it.

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 02:28:36 AM »
Well guys I don’t seem to have that problem as it appears that a previous owner ( AKA knucklehead ) has removed the boot and screwed t to my console with the metal retainer. Looks ok as is practical but obviously is not correct.

I guess that’s why I can access the bolts on the shift without any hassle. Now my big issue will be to return it back to original by fitting it under the carpet and replacing the faux wood grain vinyl.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
a 1inch corner angle cut of the carpet in all 4 corners will give you reasonable access. Just a small slice at each corner ….

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 01:29:22 PM »
You'll have to remove the seats to pull the carpet back and take the four screws out at the top of the shifter boot.  It's not difficult. Remove the four plugs under the pan and a half inch deep socket with a short extension. There are four black oval phils that hold the carpet down at the seam. Be sure to replace the shifter bushings, springs and cups while you're there and lubricate it!
                                                                                                        -Keith