Author Topic: Suggestions for Hipo Distributor refurbishment?  (Read 2441 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Suggestions for Hipo Distributor refurbishment?
« on: January 29, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
Who is considered the ‘Fred Ballard’ of restoring Hipo distributors?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Hipo Distributor refurbishment?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
Brian- Pete Geisler at Orlando Mustang used to do them but Mel's Ignition Systems in Siler City, NC - (919) 663-2816 is close by and very good.  Tell him Stan said "Hi".
5S071, 6S1467

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »
Thanks Stan!  Always appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »
  Nelson Electronics , also in NC. Nelson is really good.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

hertz1966

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 12:16:14 PM »

I had two 289 Hipo distributors rebuilt within the last two months by Dan Nolan.   Here is his contact information.

Daniel Nolan
Mustang Barn & American Classics
651 Sumneytown Pike
Harleysville, PA 19438
215-723-3722
dan@mustangbarn.com

Regards,

Tim

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
just to be clear.  there a huge difference between rebuilding these and restoring these. Restyoring involves making it look like new outside and inside
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
just to be clear.  there a huge difference between rebuilding these and restoring these. Restyoring involves making it look like new outside and inside
+1 . Rebuilding typically means changing and adjusting parts to get into mechanical working order . Most re builders do not try and make the outside and inside look like new. I suppose it depends on your expectations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
Not to highjack the thread.... but

a couple of years ago a dozen or so guys ( split between pilots / car guys ) toured one of the Roush shops in Livonia,
the front half of the building is Roush Aviation that rebuilds Merlin / Allison V12's for Spitfire / P51; 1650 CID, 1650 HP, 1650 Torque I believe they said
when they run one in on the test stand, everything on the shelves of the adjacent building's owners office fall off, they were looking for a new dyno location!

anyway I diverge, when they rebuild the heads some of the valve guides are not usable and they are dropped into a 5 gal bucket.
I asked what did they do with them? Oh we turn them down to be used in our distributor rebuild cell,

Later when we toured the back half of the building, the custom engine shop had many customer engines being rebuilt, including;
west coast vintage race cobra 260 engine, 427 SOHC, B302, B429, Chrysler vintage hemi, some bowtie pieces

off on the side was a small room with a Sun distributor machine with a couple of quart jars full of various weight springs, 100's of them
the tech said "oh yah we can rebuild your HiPo distributor, we use the valve guide bushings to replace worn distributor shaft bushings.
I didn't ask what the material was but they looked like bronze or sintered material tubes

there were also some prototype GT500 engines being built for Ford as well as some Chrysler V6 development engines being built.

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense