Author Topic: Ram Box  (Read 10587 times)

FSTMRFR

• View Profile
Ram Box
« on: January 29, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
Scooped this NOS ram box up.  Curious on how many were actually made in both single  & duel 4's.  Any other history would be cool to know too..

FSTMRFR

• View Profile
Re: Ram Box
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
With speed parts mag

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
   They were in the various Shelby catalogs for several years. By FAR , the best cross ram made for a small block Ford. It could use some "filling" in the base to help direct air flow as a single four. Better than the T/A 289 dula plane ,dual four when the top is switched to run two fours. T/A22 , Gary Goeringer ran one on the Maier Racing '67 coupe he used to own. Well over a thousand were made.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »
   They were in the various Shelby catalogs for several years. By FAR , the best cross ram made for a small block Ford. It could use some "filling" in the base to help direct air flow as a single four. Better than the T/A 289 dula plane ,dual four when the top is switched to run two fours. T/A22 , Gary Goeringer ran one on the Maier Racing '67 coupe he used to own. Well over a thousand were made.
    Randy

You just said that to make me want one right? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
   No , just the facts. A Vic Jr or "real Parker funnel web makes more power.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
   No , just the facts. A Vic Jr or "real Parker funnel web makes more power.

I don't deal in facts. Especially hurting ones like that. Ouch.  >:(

I live in the past but I know what's cooler. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
What Randy says is true.........although the Maier car was a '68 S code coupe.  Another clarification...while the Box manifold(with single carburetor top) did make a few less HP than the much later technology of the Vic Jr or Parker(the best motor was 489 HP @7600), it did produce in excess of 400 ft/lbs of torque on a 305 ci engine with original/ported C6FE heads.  I dont know of many combos before or since that did. It was lightly massaged to prevent fuel puddling and performed flawlessly.

BTW, if anyone needs one of these, I still have one with a two carb top sitting at TOE...............PM me.

GG

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »
    Thanks for chiming in Gary! The power you made with that engine certainly had the ( you know who) "GM" tounges wagging.
   Randy

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »
Fortunately, I had the correspondence from Senter(Ford) to Maier which proved the manifold was given to him prior to its official introduction and ran in a T/A event or two prior to Maier receiving a Boss 302 from H/M..............otherwise, I would have had to run another period appearing manifold...........

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
I still have mine with both tops the 4V and the 8V. The single 4 top is the rarer and more desirable. Jay Cushman was asking me if I was willing to part with mine. I essentially said no. The photo was from a couple months ago.
What I don’t have is the top cover gasket that FSTMRFR has.

Cheers
~Earl J

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:44:07 PM by SFM5S000 »

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
.............we always made our own gaskets ............didnt know there were any NOS available

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »
What Randy says is true.........although the Maier car was a '68 S code coupe.  Another clarification...while the Box manifold(with single carburetor top) did make a few less HP than the much later technology of the Vic Jr or Parker(the best motor was 489 HP @7600), it did produce in excess of 400 ft/lbs of torque on a 305 ci engine with original/ported C6FE heads.  I dont know of many combos before or since that did. It was lightly massaged to prevent fuel puddling and performed flawlessly.

BTW, if anyone needs one of these, I still have one with a two carb top sitting at TOE...............PM me.

GG

rumor was they bought the 390 car and pulled engine  to be installed in the tow vehicle.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
While on the subject of Ram Box’s and who else runs them Mark H./SFM5S170 his set up is very nice. I’d post a photo of his engine bay, but I think I’d need his permission to do so.

~E

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
It won't fit with a/c will it?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
It won't fit with a/c will it?  :o

Doug, sure it would, provided your 68 GT350 has a 302 based engine (8.2” deck block). It would be very cool in a 68. Here’s a few pics of the Bill Maier car (Gary Goeringer’s/TA22 old car) I took at the Rolex Reunion at Laguna the previous year. It’s a race car that gets photographed so I’m sure he won’t mind.

Cheers,
~Earl J