Author Topic: Ram Box  (Read 1423 times)

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

• View Profile
Re: Ram Box
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
nice shots Earl  !!!!

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
Nice find!! WOW!! I have one myself with both tops. Iím not too sure Iíve ever heard there were 1000 made? Not disputing that but in the SBF world Iíve only ever seen a handful and only three in person. Iíve always heard they are quite rare and most that bought them could not get them to run properly and gave up on them. Iíve just completed my 2 carb setup with help from Drew Pojedinec. Hopefully this set up will work out! Iím excited to try!

I know Mark Hippís 65 #170 car well and heís definitely figured out how to make a Ram Box run!! It pulls so hard from 3800 all the way to 8200 RPMís!! It never runs out!!

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »
That looks cool as hell.
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982
Kirkham Cobra 427

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 11:43:06 PM »
I concur too! Itís just screaming Drive Me!
Very nice.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 10:36:42 AM »
Iíve always heard they are quite rare and most that bought them could not get them to run properly and gave up on them. Iíve just completed my 2 carb setup with help from Drew Pojedinec. Hopefully this set up will work out! Iím excited to try!

Hello 67 GT500#1594,

You may want to revisit the position and mounting of the Drivers side Carburetor on your setup. The dual 8V top was designed to have the driver's side carb mounted backwards. As you can see the dips (clearance notches oriented in the center) (see pic, top is upside down in photo) for the carb levers and linkage.
The reason is (as designed) the passenger side carb's primary venturies will feed the forward cylinders. When mounted correctly, the drivers' side venturies will feed the back half of the cylinders. The inside of the manifold is like a giant bath tub. (see pics).
Unlike the single 4V arrangement, That top has distribution walls (see pic) to evenly distribute air/fuel mixture.
Attempting to run your setup as is, you will experience lean conditions on the back half and erratic surges once you open the secondary's.
The linkage assembly should run in between the two (2) carburetors. Passenger linkage rod should "pull",  the driver's side linkage rod should "push". (see pic, rod lengths are short in pic for discussion reasons)
I thought to inform you so to avoid a future headache.

Cheers,
~Earl J

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:01:30 AM by SFM5S000 »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
   Thanks Earl , you saved me the post. You are absolutely correct that the D/S carb MUST be mounted backwards! This manifold has offset carburetors unlike other crossrams made "in the day". The engine will run horribly if they are both facing forward even with "center squirter" carbs. Great catch.
   Randy
Celebrating 44 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »

I know Mark Hippís 65 #170 car well and heís definitely figured out how to make a Ram Box run!! It pulls so hard from 3800 all the way to 8200 RPMís!! It never runs out!!

Speaking of Mark Hippís car, being a race car (Iím sure it gets photographed too) I decided to post it. Itís a very tidy setup.
On the other hand, here is a setup on a 66 GT350 #15xx with the dual carb arrangement set up correctly. I understand why he used the side hung bowls. Iím assuming to clear the Monte Carlo Bar, as any other bowl wouldnít clear it. Not crazy about his choice in ignition but to each his own.

~Earl J

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
Thanks Earl for the heads up. Yes, it is currently mounted ďbackwardsĒ. Thereís been a lot of thought put into this one and many reasons for doing what I doing. I agree that there is a chance of fuel starvation by mounting the carb forward but I wonít know until a dyno test can confirm this. Iíve discussed this with MANY different individuals each experienced with this exact set up. My choice of LeMans bowls complicates things somewhat. Theyíre definitely harder to set up the float levels. The WOW factor plays into this for sure.

Honestly, the dyno will be the proof. Iím not convinced that back when these were designed for anything else but pure drag racing with zero street manors. The carbs they chose were way too much carburetion for a 289/302. Now I think we can agree 465 cfm X 2 is way too much. Hippís race car runs a 750 cfm with a 850 baseplate. Heís car is amazingly perfect in every way with a lot of other well thought out improvements! One of the finest pure examples of a real period correct vintage race car. So based on the photos, what carbs do you think Iíve had built for this project. I plan on building either a 331 or 347 with aluminum heads for my 66 Fastback. Iím hopeful that this project will work and be super unique. With better heads, larger cubes, and better balanced carbs this will work.

Iíll give you a hint, their NOT 715 cfmís...

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »
    Respectfully , 465s are TOO little . The plenum area is so large that two small carburetors can't fill it fast enough ! You WILL find this out on the dyno so be sure and bring some bigger carbs and jets. The manifold was not designed strictly for drag racing. The manifold WAS designed by Ford engineers based on the Chevrolet Z-28 intake. Yes it will respond to more cubic inches and certainly better flowing heads than what I ran in the day. ( C6FEs). I'll leave the rest up to you.
   Randy
Celebrating 44 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.