Author Topic: Ram Box  (Read 10585 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: Ram Box
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »
  The intended carburetors were indeed 600cfm. Double pumpers were not "invented" yet (1969 creation)  List # 1850 was what Shelby recommended. "Center squirters" were the race carburetor choice. They were developed in '66.
  Randy

Randy, you were right. I found where I read (what I thought were 600 double pumpers) the recommended carbs for the ram box. It does In fact call for 660 cfm carbs which are center squirters with standard bowls. 5th line down in the pic. It’s funny how the names of bowls changed from “standard” (now side hung) and “cathedral” (now center hung).
Hope all is well. Down in OC LA.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:48:39 PM by SFM5S000 »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
With all this “Social Distancing” and down time, I’m toying with the idea of giving it a whirl. Just for sh*ts and giggles pulling off the Weber’s and giving this setup a try. The carb is a modified 4778 dp (might be a tad small) we’ll see. At least that’s where I’ll start carb wise.
If I hate it, I’ll throw the IDA’s back on.

Cheers,
~E
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:21:03 AM by SFM5S000 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Good thing in this case to have time on your hands. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Adventurous aren't you?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »
Tony Oddo Sr/Jr @ TOE Performance have successfully used 390 cfm carbs on their race engines using this manifold.  In fact, he still has my dual carb ram box manifold as we were planning on building a engine specific for use on longer tracks like Road America....... but I sold the car prior to building it.

Well there you go, at least someone else out there as crazy as me! That’s exactly what I have except for mechanical secondaries. With time things improve, parts improve, and thinking outside the box helps too. I have to put faith in my carb guy as many others have done. Honestly 1200 cfm for a 289-347 based engine is too much, it just is. We shall see how this turns out. It’s been a fun challenge for the last 5-6 years!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »
The size of the carbs depends on how the manifold reacts. It could have certain characteristics of an IR manifold and if the plenum changes it you could be looking somewhere between 600 cfm and 2300 cfm.

The plenum volume was always the proprietary information. Flow benches have help reverse engineer the manifold over the years.

Depending on what the ultimate gain there is over more conventional set ups is the determining factor. Is it worth $4000 of bench work to gain 10hp on a vintage racer?
I can't answer that but I can envision the limitations here?

I'd guess two 1850's is close to optimum, but who knows for sure?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
  Gary (T/A 22) ran it VERY successfully as a single . I had forgotten he tested it with the 390 carbs and that his engine builder got them to work. Tony Oddo Jr is really good with carburetion, making stuff work that normally wouldn't by adjusting air bleeds , secondary opening etc. The ( old) Holley 1850 had calibration that would work "out of the box" except for some jetting changes. I did add the secondary diaphram covers with the tube so that both secondaries would open at the same time. ( Same as the 427). It was good but 'if" I had done dyno testing like Tony does , it might have been better. The manifold was FAR bettwer than the M/T or Edelbrock cross rams. They essentially split the intake into two four cylinder engines. The Shelby featured a "common plenum" which is where the additional power came from. Besides it just looks cool!!!! LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »

Okay Doug, here’s one for you:

“Almond Joy’s got nuts Mounds don’t...”
How’s that go?
“Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don’t!”
😁

Best,
~E
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:37:52 AM by SFM5S000 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »

Okay Doug, here’s one for you:

“Almond Joy’s got nuts Mounds don’t...”
How’s that go?
“Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don’t!”
😁

Best,
~E

So true! ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
Talk about being adventurous, this is the latest project I'm working on.
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
One more pic.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
Is this the Boss 302 set up or is there one for the Windsor heads also?

Have you ever seen a version of this manifold for a 9.2 Cleveland?

Not meaning to be a downer but I can envision a volcano of reversion with this and having worked with Webers on IR's I can't imagine how you can cover the carbs with an air cleaner. It's just going to go up in flames?

In any case, adventurous is an understatement and on the surface, looks so innocent to boot?

Very cool.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »
there is a reason i dont have a dyno in the shop , too many ideas at  hand !  I will stick to the 2x4 setup for the street  :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »
Nice one Roy,

That’s for the Boss 302. Are those the sand cast  dominators and do you have the linkage for it? That will also require the offset distributor, but you knew that. How long have I known you some 40+ years??

Cheers,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »
there is a reason i dont have a dyno in the shop , too many ideas at  hand !  I will stick to the 2x4 setup for the street  :)

Excellent choice. You will like it but revive all of the Holley curse words you had forgotten about.

The sb 2x4 pulls HARD and depending on the cam, idles like a pussy cat.

Earl: there is that 2x4 t/a 'windsor' manifold mated to the special cast small port Boss 302 heads so is anyone sure exactly what COULD still turn up as far as manifolds go? I wouldn't be shocked if there was that Boss 302 t/a also cast for C6FE 289 heads, maybe just more stupefied?

This is like Rocky and Bullwinkle. "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat?" :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:41:30 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!