News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966/67 Shelby 427SC Owners manual

Started by CSX 4133, January 29, 2020, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

Not my item, but looks correct. The asking price is crazy, but when was the last time you saw an original, if in fact it is.

https://thegloveboxshop.com/shop/home/874-1966-shelby-ac-cobra-427.html

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX 4133 on January 29, 2020, 05:21:14 PM

Not my item, but looks correct. The asking price is crazy, but when was the last time you saw an original, if in fact it is.

It doesn't appear to be crazy money IMO.  In fact that is about a typical average price given the condition. I have seen some go for more and others for less. My original manual has brass screws not aluminum. I think some originals came with the aluminum screws however the repros only come with aluminum screws. The brass screws are not a ultimate indication but they give a better chance of being genuine vs repro besides other distinguishing factors. The originals are a darker greenish paper and the repros are typically more of a gray. I have seen some repros that were smaller in size and some the same size. There are other nuance details on inside pages.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Grumpy

JD

I have 2 with the aluminum fasteners.  Images of the inside content/pages can determine if original (in a new car) vs later over-the -counter/replacements.

Both of mine were determined to be the later, much less value $$.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TheGloveBoxShop

I assure to This manual is 100% Original And Came with An Original 1967 AC 427 Shelby Cobra Originally sold to a gentleman in Seattle Wa.

I am willing to show any page and zoom into any portion of any page / Cover and it will only confirm its authenticity.

I do not sell Reprints.

Edward Bryk- Owners of TheGloveBoxShop     

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TheGloveBoxShop on February 10, 2020, 09:39:46 PM
I assure to This manual is 100% Original And Came with An Original 1967 AC 427 Shelby Cobra Originally sold to a gentleman in Seattle Wa.

I am willing to show any page and zoom into any portion of any page / Cover and it will only confirm its authenticity.

I do not sell Reprints.

Edward Bryk- Owners of TheGloveBoxShop   
Post the exact size so that we can help confirm at least one aspect of the no reprint scenario.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TheGloveBoxShop

Here are photos of the measurements you asked for.

Bob Gaines

I have three 427 manuals.  The olive drab with brass rivets ,it is 6 x 9 inches. The one in the middle is tan paper like the seller and aluminum rivets, it is 6 x 9. The one on the right is a known repro with aluminum rivets and it is 5 3/8 X 8 3/8 . There are also differences on the inner pages. I think that the olive drab with the brass rivets is the earlier version.

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: CSX 4133 on January 29, 2020, 05:21:14 PM

Is the asking price really that crazy?  I'm being serious when I ask that question.

I just saw a second printing of a 66 GT350 manual sell on ebay for $850.  It was in a little ratty and in the same shape as this AC Cobra manual.  I bought a mint original second printing 66 GT350 manual a couple of years ago for $1,000.  I don't even own a freakin 66 GT350 car of any model.  For some reason I was enthralled by the prospect of owning a mint 66 GT350 manual in hopes that I might add a 66 GT350 car to my stable one day.  If I did acquire said car and for some reason I didn't have an original manual to go with my future car, I would be kicking myself.   ???

I've seen really ratty 68 GT 350/500 original manuals sell for $400 all day long.  I bought one of those about 6 months ago.

I really don't think that the asking price is out to lunch but ya never know.  I might be the fish on the end of the line.  I actually thought I should buy this manual just in case I were to add an original 427 AC Cobra to my stable at some point in the future  ::)

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

TheGloveBoxShop

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 11, 2020, 06:41:08 PM
I have three 427 manuals.  The olive drab with brass rivets ,it is 6 x 9 inches. The one in the middle is tan paper like the seller and aluminum rivets, it is 6 x 9. The one on the right is a known repro with aluminum rivets and it is 5 3/8 X 8 3/8 . There are also differences on the inner pages. I think that the olive drab with the brass rivets is the earlier version.

I can see from the photo both the ones on the right are reprint the far right has the size issue / it reads owners handbook, and the center one has the word COBRA Centered. The one to the left i have seen photos of the olive cover but I have never seen one up close. I would have to see if the fold outs, printing quality and page material are correct. before I would say its original.

I have prided myself on only selling original owners manuals.

JD

The two I have match the middle one in Bob's 3 book comparison; 6x9 aluminum fasteners.

Thanks,
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TheGloveBoxShop on February 12, 2020, 04:30:22 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 11, 2020, 06:41:08 PM

I can see from the photo both the ones on the right are reprint the far right has the size issue / it reads owners handbook, and the center one has the word COBRA Centered. The one to the left i have seen photos of the olive cover but I have never seen one up close. I would have to see if the fold outs, printing quality and page material are correct. before I would say its original.

I have prided myself on only selling original owners manuals.
I agree that the middle manual I pictured is a repro. I said as much in my previous post. I don't care to get your opinion on my original thank you very much I'm good .  ;D   I have had a few of the original darker green ones with brass rivets like the one I pictured over the years . Don't let your pride get the best of you . ;) Best of luck on the sale of your manual.

TheGloveBoxShop

I am so sorry, I did not mean to insult or ague. I did not mean anything bad by any of my comments.   I truly hope you can except my apology for anything off I may have wrote.