Author Topic: Stewart Warner 240A fuel pump  (Read 14116 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Warner 240A fuel pump
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
I've had an electric fuel pump in my trunk since 1972. It hangs off of the deck lid hinge mounting bracket. It works fine there.

That technically is less the 24 inches to the bottom of the tank.

Tt works so well, in fact, it really sucks.

Why put one under the car? It will be exposed to all types of road hazards?

If need be, put a pump on the end of the pick up tubes in the tank like the new cars use.

This seems like a no brainer to me unless you are intentionally making it more complicated then necessary? I know people like that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
Here is the photo of 002 as I promised......

This would be a more correct for proper function installation versus any in the trunk endeavor; and safer for the car and the occupants from a fire hazard also!     ;)

And before someone says "bah-humbug", please Randy (jump in!  :) ) mention the NHRA rules concerning the requirement of no fuel lines or related fuel components (this includes direct operating mechanical fuel pressure gauges) in the occupant compartment and the requirement of a bulkhead (not just the rear seat assembly) separating occupants from trunk mounted fuel system components.         ;)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
Here is the photo of 002 as I promised......

This would be a more correct for proper function installation versus any in the trunk endeavor; and safer for the car and the occupants from a fire hazard also!     ;)

And before someone says "bah-humbug", please Randy (jump in!  :) ) mention the NHRA rules concerning the requirement of no fuel lines or related fuel components (this includes direct operating mechanical fuel pressure gauges) in the occupant compartment and the requirement of a bulkhead (not just the rear seat assembly) separating occupants from trunk mounted fuel system components.         ;)

Scott.
From a historical stand point and to be fair didn't the rules changed after the 60's time period we are talking about ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
   Yes Bob IIRC it was 74-75 when the rules were changed by NHRA.
        Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »

From a historical stand point and to be fair didn't the rules changed after the 60's time period we are talking about ?

Definitely, but I was attempting only to point out a "more correct for proper function installation" and safety, and agreed, perhaps not a more typical period correct installation. 

But, perhaps, if I had the out of the example of car #002 as presented (if "period correct" if that still being of a steadfast concern) and my car didn't originally ("day-one") come equipped with such anyway, then perhaps, particularly if I was adding such from need for truly greater fuel delivery than that which solely the mechanical pump was able (say for track day events), then perhaps this alternate installation with its' superior attributes in function & safety could be considered?          :)

Scott.

R-MODEL1965

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows whether the bowl, bowl retainer, top plate, and mounting bracket were stainless on the 240a fuel pump or were they zinc plated?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows whether the bowl, bowl retainer, top plate, and mounting bracket were stainless on the 240a fuel pump or were they zinc plated?
Not stainless steel. Those parts are zinc plated steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

dmb496

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:26 AM »
I see the SW240A complete gasket kit is available again on Ebay.

David

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
Not stainless steel. Those parts are zinc plated steel.

+1 and poorly done at that! VERY thin coating that virtually rubs off.
   Randy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
I see the SW240A complete gasket kit is available again on Ebay.

David
A lot of people are under the misconception that the gasket set is what is needed to rebuild a non working pump. The gasket kit is very helpful but it doesn't typically solve the problem of a non working pump. There is a internal switch that goes bad that renders the pump inoperable. That is at the root of the vast majority of non working 240A pumps.  The switch unfortunately is not readily available. I have had a few NOS internal switch's over the years but they are like hens teeth in finding them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:41:22 PM by Bob Gaines »

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
Does anyone know how many Gallons per hour (GPH) the 240a pumper?  Thanks

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »
 They were pretty poor like 80. I tried to fill a 55 gallon drum once and it took forever. A Rotary pump is WAY faster!!!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »
They were pretty poor like 80.

If that's G.P.H.?  I think your being awfully kind there Randy; or is that with the 18 volt battery system?        :)

I think they were probably rated more likely around 50 to 55 G.P.H. (and I'm not sure whether that was "free-flow" (probably   :-\  ) or at pressure, and if so at what pressure, as it was an adjustable pressure unit?); and this equates to something in excess of 300 lbs. per hour of fuel, which at the old stand-by value of one half pound fuel per hour per horsepower would indicate the pump was tapped-out at anything approaching 600 H.P. or more; and this would have been in the best of installations I'm sure.     

As I remember (in the "old-days"  ::)  ), in the real world, the practice was that one pump was sufficient perhaps to 400 H.P. +/- applications but after that you went with a dual pump installation, again, in reasonable executions of installations, which still would prove to compromise the claimed performance obviously available under only "ideal" conditions.           :)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »
They were optimum at the time but obsolete compared to today's technology. Their use should be for nostalgia purposes only IMO.