Author Topic: Stewart Warner 240A fuel pump  (Read 14120 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Warner 240A fuel pump
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
   I have seem them mounted to the bracket for the trunk hinge on the driver's side.

Randy,
That would be the more common single SW240A unit mounting arrangement. It had issues being up so high. I have SAI photos somewhere of the single plumbing arrangement and the passages where it enters the underside and connects to the long range fuel tank fuel pickup. The point of entry for the dual is similar.
The previous image above that Bob G. posted is the dual SW240A mounting from 5R098. I took dimensions of that bracket years ago and installed it in my 65. Here it is:

Earl,
Can you share the dimensions of that bracket?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

dmb496

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »
The Ebay seller's name is margeracsalva.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
BTW on the series vs parallel pump plumbing debate I came across this photo on a GT40 site.

Yes, this is a popular plumbing execution, it is simple, neat and clean, perhaps, maybe even "period" correct, but it is still not an efficient or proper execution, but then it may be "sufficient", and that's all that counts.  Right!      ;) 

And, I see that we are using the the appropriate tool for such a plumbing endeavor considering the hardware store brass, the "ever-adjustable-left-handed-metric-standard-universal" Crescent wench!  But, I suppose it's a step up from the "monkey-wrench" anyway! 

BTW,........... did you know that the flats within the jaws of the Crescent wrench are not intended to be parallel by design?  Or, that it is intended to be directional in its' position relative to the direction of the rotational force applied.  Oops, sorry, I'm rambling again!      ::)

Scott.   

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
Bob,
Do you consider the 2-pump setup in the photo you provided to be "correct" for an R model or was this something that was done different for different car owners? Does the setup in the photo use the same 2-pump bracket that is shown in the other post? It almost looks like each pump had it's own bracket in your photo but it's too dark to be sure.

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
A nice gentleman from the GT40s forum provided some higher resolution versions of several SW Service Instructions. Enjoy.

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
Here's more

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 11:18:42 PM »
Bob,
Do you consider the 2-pump setup in the photo you provided to be "correct" for an R model or was this something that was done different for different car owners? Does the setup in the photo use the same 2-pump bracket that is shown in the other post? It almost looks like each pump had it's own bracket in your photo but it's too dark to be sure.
One bracket held the both pumps. Not two . The bracket was apparently sold by SA back in the day.  I have found and sold several of the same brackets over the years. If I found several there must have been many more. I know it is one of the more common set ups I have seen in R models over the years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

R-MODEL1965

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
For those who have run the Stewart Warner 240 fuel pump, I was wondering if the single mounted pump on the decklid hinge bracket worked very well since it was mounted so high? I have seen several R-Models and clones with set up but was wanting to make sure it worked before installing it on my tribute car.

I was also curious if the mechanical pump was able to pull through the dual electric pumps when the electric pumps are off?

Thanks.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
       In the late '60s I used the hinge area for mounting. I was then warned it was too high and lowered it. "At the track" it didn't make any performance difference.
   YES the mechanical pump will pull through them and was why I used them.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2020, 01:02:24 PM »
The SW Service Instructions indicate that the 240 A pump be mounted no more than 24" above the fuel level.

Don
gt350bp

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
I have an original Friedman photo of the 240A pump installation on 002, I will post it when I get to my computer. The installation shows one 240A pump mounted close to the rear axle on the drivers side with the LR wheel removed.
The typical installation was using the Carter mechanical fuel pump drawing through the 240A, the 240A being utilized only when the fuel level in the tank was low causing weaker gravitational forces to slow down fuel supply to the mechanical pump. This was also the way it was utilized on the “long range” fuel tanks on the team 289 Cobras, plumbed into the reserve side of the fuel tank. If the fuel pressure got low enough to switch to the reserve side the  240A pump was activated long enough to build normal pressure on the gauge and then the 240A was shut off. Basically the 240A was used as a booster pump for the mechanical pump when needed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:14:49 PM by CSX2259 »

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
This is one of the photos for the upcoming auction of the Ken Miles prototype car. This may be the only car that's mounted in this fashion since it's the prototype. The battery hold down also seems to be different than what's marketed as correct for the R model.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:27:01 PM by mlplunkett »

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
Also found a copy of the switch servicing document developed by Randy V on the GT40s forum. The photos were lost for several years due to the Photobucket money grab but someone recently produced a copy that they downloaded back in the day. It's good info if you want to try and revive a faulty switch.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »
Here is the photo of 002 as I promised......

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Here is the photo of 002 as I promised......
That is the nicest painted black rear brake drum I think I have ever seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby