Author Topic: Small letter 289 Cobra 2x4 intake and carbs value  (Read 8076 times)

Black430SCJ

• View Profile
Small letter 289 Cobra 2x4 intake and carbs value
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »
I have a chance to purchase a 289 Cobra 2x4 intake with carbs. Carbs are 3258S and 3259S. Does not have correct fuel log. Carbs likely need rebuilt but recently came off running engine. Any thought on current value much appreciated.

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Small letter 289 Cobra 2x4 intake and carbs value
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »
Hi RedGT350,

I'd say between $1500 and $2000.  It will be near $1200 to restore.  I prefer the Holley high rise dual quad with the Holley Carbs LIST 3360 and 3361.

Best of luck

Cory
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:11:23 PM by 6s1640 »

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »
I sold same intake for $500 and had to work to get that. It was a couple years ago.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

65A KGT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
Does it have the original air cleaner assemblies? Those are really tough to find.
'66 K-GT Hardtop C4
'67 Cougar XR7 A-Code 4 speed
'68 Cougar XR7 GT-E 428CJ C6
'69 Cougar XR7 Convertible 428CJ C6
'70 Cougar XR7 Convertible 428CJ 4 speed
Former owner of 6S1291 and 6S074

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
The dual Holley set up is a much better way to go. The differences in price reflect that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Black430SCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
Does not have correct air filters .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
Agree with others that the set up with the carter carbs is considered undesirable compared to the Holley because they did not run as well. The value reflects that. This is not a setup that you want to invest a lot of money in if buying to flip given the market value and the much smaller buyer pool.You may be holding on to it for a while. If you are wanting for a personal car and if function matters then there are much better set ups out there. Most informed enthusiasts think when they look past the nostalgia aspect of the vintage duel Carter set up is that it is considered "the" duel four setup that didn't work that well.  ;)   Just my thoughts others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »
I had one a while back  sold it  for $1000 ... the only carbs that fit on it are the  afb carters   / maybe  you could turn holleys sideways ... but i never  tried  that . 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »
........... maybe  you could turn holleys sideways ... but i never  tried  that .

Setting up linkage for that would be fun  ;)

Have the same setup with NOS filters. The intake and carbs came with a car I purchased. Not sure if the owner ran it or just purchased it hoping to get around to it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
You can use Dominator linkage for that. Those carbs ares so big you mount them sideways. Linkage works fine.

What makes the 2x4 Holley set up work well is not necessarily the carbs. The vacuum secondaries do work but it is the way that the dual plenums on the intake are designed and the Ford 427 2x4 linkage works progressively.

None of the dual AFB setup has that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:56 PM »
I have been running the small letter COBRA dual quad intake for over 40 years on hot street engines. For all out race engines turning 7500 rpm plus the Holley set up is best. For the street it will outperform any vintage 4 barrel carb set up, it looks good runs good and you will get smiles from anyone that looks at it or anyone driving or riding in your car, just make sure you have an engine that can benefit from multi carburation. ;)

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:26:32 AM »
You can use Dominator linkage for that. Those carbs ares so big you mount them sideways. Linkage works fine.

Doug where can you find the duel Dominator linkage? I have that setup and I'm intending to build an engine before too long for the Dual Dominator. I have been running the Dual Holley set up on a factory TA style intake for over 40 years and it runs great. I also have another NOS TA intake and also one of the independent team 2/4  TA intakes. I figured I would have to custom make the linkage for the dominators but if you know where to get it I'd sure like to know.

TIA. Roy Richards
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 07:15:17 AM »
The most impressive sight one will ever behold is the sight of dual DOMMINATORS on a small block Ford. I have never been smart enough or willing enough to drop some major coin, on the use of this set up. The sight and sounds emitted from such engines running this set up will treat your senses to something you will never forget. Think of one of VOGTS engines getting ready for a spin. :) It is the most impressive so over the top setup that you would think its impossible to make it work... OOOOH they make it work all right, you just need the rest of it to go along with the ultimate small block set up. PURE AWESOMENESS.....

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 07:30:42 AM »
"Doug where can you find the duel Dominator linkage? I have that setup and I'm intending to build an engine before too long for the Dual Dominator. I have been running the Dual Holley set up on a factory TA style intake for over 40 years and it runs great. I also have another NOS TA intake and also one of the independent team 2/4  TA intakes. I figured I would have to custom make the linkage for the dominators but if you know where to get it I'd sure like to know."

Most racers are going to make up their own sideways linkage since there is hardly a universal application for dual Dominators at all? It's been over thirty years since I built one for dual Dominators but there are a starter kits that can give you a basis to work with.

Here's one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7077

I agree that multiple carburetion runs much better then you can do with any single 4v carb.

There aren't many that have done side by side comparisons and it isn't necessarily the difference in total horsepower that makes them better. It's the progression of power throughout the rpms from right off of idle, not even just high rpm power.

I think it is also true that in many cases it is difficult enough to deal with only one carb and multiple carbs raise that to a power sometimes of an unknown number complete but they do come with all of the rights and privileges, i.e., frustrations.

When you have them running right though the rewards are worth it.

Just the sound of the "whomp" when they open is awe inspiring alone but not for everyone. It's a very ancient analog thing vs. a computer digital thing, like running from a Tyrannosaurus Rex for you life!  ;D

GM used Carter AFB two fours on many combinations and so did Mopar but the Holleys seem to work much, much better.

There are also more then just a couple of 289 Cobras with the Carter 2x4s on them and I can't ever recall the dual Holleys on a 289 Cobra that I can think of.

These seem to originate around the time of the Shelby 289 T/A coupes?

I personally can attest to more then just a little finagling with the Ford linkages to get these things to work right.

On the street, I'd say use the 427 dual for linkage that mounts the carbs backwards with the primary carb (with the choke) in the front. It can be a little finicky and time consuming to get just right.

The later T/A cars (intended for racing) wisely mount the carbs the other way. From what I see that is simply for race simplification of the throttle linkages, since there it matters little where the choke is and what if they pull smoothly off of idle. Those cars were just virtually run at WOT all of the time.

I don't like The proximity of the carb bowl to the distributor cap with the carbs mounting forward. I consider that inherently/significantly dangerous. I have already lost two cars due to carb fires and I don't want another.

Mounting the carbs backwards gives more than an additional 1/2" clearance to the cap. Call me finicky if you like?

I am pretty sure vs. very sure that the original Shelby Boss 302 Trans-Am car had dual Dominators mounted sideways on a unique intake manifold.

I believe it was Randy who posted pictures of it on the crashed forum? Inquire there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:01:41 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JMobley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 01:46:51 PM »
I have a chance to purchase a 289 Cobra 2x4 intake with carbs. Carbs are 3258S and 3259S. Does not have correct fuel log. Carbs likely need rebuilt but recently came off running engine. Any thought on current value much appreciated.

The T/A style with rounded runners is the most desirable and best performing of the small block 2x4 intakes. The TA intake commands much more money than the other versions.   If this lead you have is the same one I saw recently out there in internet land, then it seems IMHO to be alittle steep on price for what it is. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:50:17 PM by JMobley »