News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original Gas Cap

Started by SFcarbuff, February 01, 2020, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFcarbuff

Hello all, is there a part number on the original gas cap?  How do you tell the differnece between an original and a reproduction?  Thanks

GT350Lad

I had a look at mine when cleaning it, the cobra logo itself looks more defined and has slight gold tinge to it. Inside the metal cap is a part number which is C6OA-3655-A and fomoco
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

SFcarbuff

Thanks for taking the time to look for the part number.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350Lad on February 01, 2020, 09:53:13 PM
I had a look at mine when cleaning it, the cobra logo itself looks more defined and has slight gold tinge to it. Inside the metal cap is a part number which is C6OA-3655-A and fomoco
Cheers
I have found the assemblyline and early service parts to typically have the gold tinge you observed. The later service and all of the repros do not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 01, 2020, 11:42:53 PM
Quote from: GT350Lad on February 01, 2020, 09:53:13 PM
Cheers
I have found the assemblyline and early service parts to typically have the gold tinge you observed. The later service and all of the repros do not.

Thanks Bob, good to know, my gas cap is similar yellow tinge too
6S373
6S1276

s2ms

There are no part numbers or other markings on original or service replacement 66 GT350 gas caps that I'm aware of. Haven't really looked at a lot of repops but know at least some do have markings.

I looked into the gold tint thing extensively a few years ago. At first I thought it was intentional and a good way to identify originals. But after looking at a lot of original and service part gas caps decided it is most likely age, & possibly sun exposure, related. IMO over time the red pigment has bled into the surrounding silver areas giving it a goldish tint.

IMO if your cap has gold tint in the areas surrounded by red it is original.
Dave - 6S1757

GT350Lad

Damm it, I just realised I misread the thread title and have been ranting about steering wheel caps! Sorry everyone, getting old
6S373
6S1276

SFcarbuff

No problem, all great information!!

s2ms

An pic is worth a thousand words...

Original cap on the left, Ford service part on the right. The trim, G.T. 350 text, and Cobra teeth surrounded by red all have a gold tint.

The only obvious difference I see on the backsides is a larger pressure relief valve hole in the service part.

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Check the diameter of the braided steel cable with some calipers on the original and compare with the repro . I suspect the repro is metric and slightly larger.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1802

I'm putting my original back on.

s2ms

Quote from: s2ms on February 02, 2020, 01:13:36 AM
There are no part numbers or other markings on original or service replacement 66 GT350 gas caps that I'm aware of. Haven't really looked at a lot of repops but know at least some do have markings.

I looked into the gold tint thing extensively a few years ago. At first I thought it was intentional and a good way to identify originals. But after looking at a lot of original and service part gas caps decided it is most likely age, & possibly sun exposure, related. IMO over time the red pigment has bled into the surrounding silver areas giving it a goldish tint.

IMO if your cap has gold tint in the areas surrounded by red it is original.

Was having a 66 gas cap discussion with another forum member today and well, now I'm aware of a marking on original caps, thanks Ed! Still have not seen this on any service replacements.

He showed me a Mfg. logo on the backside of his original I had not seen before. Wiped off the grime in the same spot on my original and there is was!

Dave - 6S1757

kingchief

Great photos...thanks.

All the best, Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

FYI the same MFG stamp is on 65 caps too.

Shelby_r_b

Wow. I had no idea - thanks for the pics!!
Nothing beats a classic!