News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Scott Drake C6DZ-10884-B temp sender

Started by shelbydoug, February 03, 2020, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Has anyone here used these? It looks like a repackaged Standard part?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

I don't know if that is true or not. What I do know is that the Scott Drake C6DZ-10884-B temp sender I bought caused the temp gage to read way too high. I found a used original for sale on eBay and it works properly.

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 03, 2020, 08:04:46 AM
Has anyone here used these? It looks like a repackaged Standard part?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Thanks Royce. That's what I needed to know.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I start from this position: the Scott Drake parts are not acceptable replacements for a Shelby. Never had an issue since.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

1967 eight barrel

This is the factory unit in the attached picture. I noted three replacement units read about 3/4 of the guage at 190 -198 degrees, which it should read about 3/8.  I have tried a NAPA unit, Drake and Autozone,which my observation was that all three read high on the guage.
                          -Keith

shelbydoug

The Scott Drake appears to be just a repackaged aftermarket unit. The Ford/Motorcraft with the red insulator appears to be the only one that works correctly.

I just wanted to verify the uselessness of  the SD unit.

As I previously stated, the Standard is reading about 3/4 at thermostat opening with a 192.

I seem to think that I have two originals at the bottom of one of the parts bins? Hum? Now which one? I need to go into a trance. It will come to me.  :D

Better to meditate for a few hours rather then spend weeks looking.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 03, 2020, 02:52:30 PM
This is the factory unit in the attached picture. I noted three replacement units read about 3/4 of the guage at 190 -198 degrees, which it should read about 3/8.  I have tried a NAPA unit, Drake and Autozone,which my observation was that all three read high on the guage.
                          -Keith

Hey Keith - so, is this correct for a 1967 GT350? We're they different for big / small blocks?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on February 03, 2020, 03:49:51 PM
                          -Keith

Hey Keith - so, is this correct for a 1967 GT350? We're they different for big / small blocks?

Thanks!
The Ford sourced temp sender with the red insulator is the correct one for both 67 GT 350 and GT 500.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 03, 2020, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on February 03, 2020, 03:49:51 PM
                          -Keith

Thanks!
The Ford sourced temp sender with the red insulator is the correct one for both 67 GT 350 and GT 500.

Thanks Bob!
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

[/quote]

Interesting, as both of my cars have temperature senders with white insulators('66 and '67 GT-350's).  My gauges appear to read correctly.  Both have been installed 25 plus years.  One of them I can see the Ford logo, and the number 260.

Greek 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on February 03, 2020, 06:49:25 PM

Interesting, as both of my cars have temperature senders with white insulators('66 and '67 GT-350's).  My gauges appear to read correctly.  Both have been installed 25 plus years.  One of them I can see the Ford logo, and the number 260.

Greek
[/quote]Other senders will work (in varying ways ) but the red insulator one is what was intended .

greekz

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 03, 2020, 06:59:18 PM
Quote from: greekz on February 03, 2020, 06:49:25 PM

Greek
Other senders will work (in varying ways ) but the red insulator one is what was intended .
[/quote]

Thanks.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

1967 eight barrel

The original appeared to be a chalky pinkish white. I presumed it was aged and faded. I replaced it when I rebuilt the engine. I hadn't noted any others complaining about incorrect readings. With a tight new engine, I expected it to run a little hot. However, after putting eight hundred miles on it it should be loosened up to a point it would run in the normal ranges.  When it didn't I decided to run a manual temperature gauge. It showed 187-199 degrees.
Phil Severence at Phildon went through my cluster a second time after the debacle with Tachman.  All gauges work perfectly now.
Rocketman's Classics can also assist with values so you can ascertain if the issue lies with the gauge or sender.

-Keith