Author Topic: Scott Drake C6DZ-10884-B temp sender  (Read 8445 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Drake C6DZ-10884-B temp sender
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
OK. I found my Ford temp sensor. It's new and stamped MOTORCRAFT 260 in what must be 3 or 4 pt type. The insulator is red.

Now I know that this is a service part. It's from about 1985. I know, because I bought it.

Here's a question. Are the original production line senders stamped Ford, Autolite, or Motorcraft?

I just saw one for sale on Eplayme with an Autolite box. It wasn't Punky but the description said nothing about that at all.

The type on this one is so small, presuming it doesn't wind up against the distributor, a judge is going to need really good light and a good magnafying glass to read it. The red insulator is easy to see.

In regards to your pink one Keith. This one is new and is not bright red I would say maybe half way between red and pink, but I can definitely see where it could maybe be desribed as pink. Especially after tee many Martunnies?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
OK. I found my Ford temp sensor. It's new and stamped MOTORCRAFT 260 in what must be 3 or 4 pt type. The insulator is red.

Now I know that this is a service part. It's from about 1985. I know, because I bought it.

Here's a question. Are the original production line senders stamped Ford, Autolite, or Motorcraft?

I just saw one for sale on Eplayme with an Autolite box. It wasn't Punky but the description said nothing about that at all.

The type on this one is so small, presuming it doesn't wind up against the distributor, a judge is going to need really good light and a good magnafying glass to read it. The red insulator is easy to see.

In regards to your pink one Keith. This one is new and is not bright red I would say maybe half way between red and pink, but I can definitely see where it could maybe be desribed as pink. Especially after tee many Martunnies?  ;)
It would typically say Autolite. In concours /div II we look for the visible appearance of the insulator and not any engineering numbers or trademarks. In Premier concours /div I all things have to be genuine no repro original marked as assemblyline and date codes line up . That goes for belts,batteries ,tires etc. So unless you are going for the hardest class then the Motorcraft would not matter as long as the appearance match's assemblyline. In the case of the temp sender it does. If you don't want to go the trouble of finding the best one calibration wise or the one you already have you are satisfied with then I would suggest doctoring the insulator to look the part  ;) . That is if the correct looking part matters to you. If it doesn't then never mind.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
Was the Autolite only an assembly line part or were they available as service parts?

A '65 Mustang/Shelby sender would be stamped Ford?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
Was the Autolite only an assembly line part or were they available as service parts?

A '65 Mustang/Shelby sender would be stamped Ford?
Autolite was marked on assemblyline and service parts until aproximatly 1970. A 65 sender was a different shape sender (smaller diameter)  altogether compared to the C6 wider diameter sender.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
For reference, here is the original from 6S1732. Insulator appears to have originally been white.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »
For reference, here is the original from 6S1732. Insulator appears to have originally been white.

The picture insulator could be faded red  ;) . Here is a good discussion with supporting documentation on the subject . http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21427.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 05:25:12 PM »
Who got the Autolite from ebay? You Bob?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 05:53:33 PM »
Who got the Autolite from ebay? You Bob?

Are you referring to the NOS one that 8 barrel posted the picture of in response #5?
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 07:00:34 PM »
This one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/autolite-TEMP-GAUGE-SENDING-UNIT-w-TACH-C6DZ-10884-B/223850788712?hash=item341e8bf768:g:gn0AAOSw3vpeHLDQ&vxp=mtr

As soon as he replied to me that it was stamped Autolite, it was already gone. Apparently he didn't know what he had.

There must have been a bunch of folks he responded to and it was like Jeopardy with beating the other guy to the buzzer.

I figured it was Bob?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
The sending unit I posted was dated 1-69.  If anyone was curious.

-Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »

-Keith

Not that it matters much. That type is very small and not clearly stamped but I would have thought that a date of 1-69 would be stamped AUTOLITE?

Where's Bob? Bob, a 69 Shelby with a MOTORCRAFT stamping in Premier would be a deduction?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »

-Keith

Not that it matters much. That type is very small and not clearly stamped but I would have thought that a date of 1-69 would be stamped AUTOLITE?

Where's Bob? Bob, a 69 Shelby with a MOTORCRAFT stamping in Premier would be a deduction?
Yep.

motorhead428

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 08:36:36 PM »
Sorry about that. I read the post about temp senders. I checked out mine and the insulator was broken. So I looked on ebay and bought the Autolite one, after the guy replied it was an Autolite. Rick