News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Scott Drake C6DZ-10884-B temp sender

Started by shelbydoug, February 03, 2020, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: motorhead428 on February 10, 2020, 08:36:36 PM
Sorry about that. I read the post about temp senders. I checked out mine and the insulator was broken. So I looked on ebay and bought the Autolite one, after the guy replied it was an Autolite. Rick

Excellent buy.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

I saw that and thought "$109 for a temp sender?"
And that's a good buy?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on February 10, 2020, 10:33:57 PM
And that's a good buy?
FYI the Autolite one sold for 60.00 according to the posted link.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

Ok, there were a total of three posted.
I didn't see that one.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bossbill on February 10, 2020, 11:25:58 PM
Ok, there were a total of three posted.
I didn't see that one.

There was only one Autolite. The others are Motorcraft.

Accurate observation is a good quality for a moderator.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Horsman

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Horsman on February 11, 2020, 12:42:36 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-C6DZ10884B-SW552-Temperature-Sender-Sending-Switch-fits-66-1966-Ford-Falcon/124029469087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I picked this one up for my 67 after reading this post. It arrived and looks correct for my application. Thought it was a little spendy for a sending unit.
Correct for application but not assemblyline correct. Autolite is preferred given it would be more like assemblyine. It would be best if the metal stamped Motorcraft disappeared completely for concours. Out of sight out of mind  ;) . Motorcraft is not acceptable on batteries , rear shocks etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Horsman

Correct for application but not assemblyline correct. Autolite is preferred given it would be more like assemblyine. It would be best if the metal stamped Motorcraft disappeared completely for concours. Out of sight out of mind  ;) . Motorcraft is not acceptable on batteries , rear shocks etc.
[/quote]

Glad I found something that will make the gauge work correctly, no more concours cars for me.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Horsman on February 12, 2020, 06:25:29 PM

Glad I found something that will make the gauge work correctly, no more concours cars for me.
[/quote]It just takes a little ingenuity to make the Mortorcraft disappear. Typically filing and polishing. For those that care it provides a path/solution for a more original look. If you don't care about the original look or don't want to do the extra work then that is a choice that each owner has to make .   

GT350DAVE

As Keith said earlier, the Scott Drake units read hotter than the actual temperature. A few years ago I chased an overheating problem that didn't exist. I spent hours chasing my tail, changing thermostats and playing with radiator fluid additives. I was really pissed off at Scott Drake when I tried a used temp sensor and the problem was eliminated. The repro part wasn't even close. The Ford part whether Autolite or Motorcraft labeled can be made unreadable in a few minutes and they read accurately. I am glad this subject came up here so other's don't go through what I did.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bossbill on February 10, 2020, 10:33:57 PM
And that's a good buy?

These things are $8 items. Even $60 is pricey but all considered, an Autolite for $60 is a find. You just DO NOT see them every day.

Whoever standardized the aftermarket units at 332 ohms vs. 302 for the Ford part is the culpret here.

If it were the other way around you could install a resistor in line. That won't work here unfortunately.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Horsman

Glad I saw this post as well, great information. I was in need of a temp gauge sender and thought the aftermarket unit would be fine.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Horsman on February 13, 2020, 05:17:54 PM
Glad I saw this post as well, great information. I was in need of a temp gauge sender and thought the aftermarket unit would be fine.

+1.  I'm in the same situation.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Bottom line it is most important for most to find one that works as intended. If you find one that works regardless of if Ford or aftermarket it is meant as to be helpful to let others know that the sender can easily be made to look close in appearance to the assemblyline unit for those that care to try and preserve the historical look. 

shelbydoug

I put in the Motorcraft sender. Now the gauge reads 1/2 way with the engine warmed and a 192 thermostat.

Still looking for a scientific answer as to why. My "technical advisor" on this is "too busy". He says they all should work. No kidding but obviously they all don't read accurately? I think I need a new technical advisor? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!