Author Topic: 428 PI, Hardened Exhaust Valve Seats or Not?  (Read 3521 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 428 PI, Hardened Exhaust Valve Seats or Not?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »
If you want the original valves I'd put your current set of heads on the shelf, leave them alone and go find another set with the original valves in them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:59:21 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
Sorry for any confusions I’m creating. I may have been muddying my questions and intentions. I’m an enthusiast, more experienced than some, not most, but I’m driven to learn more.

This is what I’d like to know:

Is the head assembly that was used in the construction of the 428 PI, found in the 1968 GT500, unique from those head assemblies used on other 428 engines?

If so, how so?

I presume the C8AE-H head casting served as the basic building component. Beyond that, I make no presumptions.

Did the heads used on the 428 PI engine use the 2.09” & 1.65” valves or the 2.03” & 1.56” valves?

I’m re-reading Steve Christ’s book, How To Rebuild Your BIG-BLOCK FORD in case I over looked the info during a prior reading.

As a related aside, even though my efforts are to replicate a build, my efforts are focused on making it look period correct. I’m open to using new and improved components, i.e., positive oil seals vs umbrella oil seals, bronze guides vs cast iron guides, etc. I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
Sorry for any confusions I’m creating. I may have been muddying my questions and intentions. I’m an enthusiast, more experienced than some, not most, but I’m driven to learn more.

This is what I’d like to know:

Is the head assembly that was used in the construction of the 428 PI, found in the 1968 GT500, unique from those head assemblies used on other 428 engines?

If so, how so?

I presume the C8AE-H head casting served as the basic building component. Beyond that, I make no presumptions.

Did the heads used on the 428 PI engine use the 2.09” & 1.65” valves or the 2.03” & 1.56” valves?

I’m re-reading Steve Christ’s book, How To Rebuild Your BIG-BLOCK FORD in case I over looked the info during a prior reading.

As a related aside, even though my efforts are to replicate a build, my efforts are focused on making it look period correct. I’m open to using new and improved components, i.e., positive oil seals vs umbrella oil seals, bronze guides vs cast iron guides, etc. I hope this helps you understand where I’m coming from.

Steve
The C8-H head was very a very common head and also used on regular 390's as well. As long as it has the C8-H engineering numbers ,drilled for the Mustang 390 GT exhaust manifold bolt pattern and port runners threaded for smog fitting. It will look the part on the outside from a concours original standpoint. I will let others elaborate on the internals. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
   Steve,
       Sorry I missed the fact that you were using Doug Meyers.  Doug and I have been friends for over twenty years and I respect his opinions and experience. He is also a Shelby owner. It sounds like "at some point" CJ valves were installed in your heads. That is a common modification as mentioned above. What Doug is saying is when that is done the "pocket" area ( around the seat) still has the original machining for the smaller valve. Opening up that area reduces a "pinch" situation and allows full use of the larger valve's potential. Doug will not do unnecessary work to "run up the bill". If I weren't on the other side of the country I would use him.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
This book by Steve Christ is filled with a lot of bad information, particularly the section on parts identification is almost completely false. Steve was a well meaning Cougar GT-E owner / enthusiast who got a lot of bad information and put it into a book that sold millions of copies. He was not an expert by any means. Do yourself a favor and get rid of that book. The information in that book has caused many people to waste lots of money and time.

Steve
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »
 +1 Well meaning , poorly executed unfortunately.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
Use that knowledge to use a quality engine guy that understands what he is doing, you wont find the tricks of the trade in print. You will find it in the heads of the best engine builders around the world. As an engine builder told me, this aint no LABOMBA small block Chevy. :-[

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 10:38:48 PM »
The Ford Performance book by Pat Ganahl was loaded with a lot of incorrect information as well supplied by none other than Ron Miller.
Look at the FE section.
                                                                                        -Keith