News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Blog Post - Early Production GT350 Restoration

Started by Brant, February 05, 2020, 05:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

s2ms

Question about the steering stop brackets which both have red paint marks restored on this car....

I've read elsewhere that on V8 cars only one side (LH?) was originally marked red, have also read that both sides had red like the car being discussed. Which is considered correct? When I pulled the originals of my 66 in the early 90's both were marked red.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Quote from: s2ms on April 04, 2020, 03:59:18 PM
Question about the steering stop brackets which both have red paint marks restored on this car....

I've read elsewhere that on V8 cars only one side (LH?) was originally marked red, have also read that both sides had red like the car being discussed. Which is considered correct? When I pulled the originals of my 66 in the early 90's both were marked red.

Thanks,
Dave

I've usually only found the red marking on the LH stop, but would consider the possibility it was on both.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: s2ms on April 04, 2020, 03:59:18 PM

I've documented on 65 more on the drivers side than passenger and the few I've seen so far on 66' s have been passenger side suggesting it was a mark that indicated a process rather than identifying a part. Just my opinion based on the findings so far.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Brant

I have made another post with lots of pictures to update the restoration of this car. I will be making more posts shortly, as the car is now painted. Amazing work by Jeremy at Maple Hill Restoration.

Click on the link or picture to see lots more.

Subscribe to my Blog, so you don't miss a post.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2020/11/just-detailsearly-production-1965-gt350.html

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Wedgeman

Just curious ..how close are these to as applied to a 67 GT500 ?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Wedgeman on November 22, 2020, 11:49:20 PM
Just curious ..how close are these to as applied to a 67 GT500 ?

Depends on the detail you considering. Details like inner front seat belt anchor sealant would be very different

Might be helpful if you compare the article related to the 65 San Jose, 66 San Jose and 67 San Jose undercarriages posted on the site. In general many of the steps and results are similar but depends on what your building street/drivers verse a restored car for example.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

texas swede

Thanks Brant,
I love your restoration blogs. A small detail I found very interesting was the  placing of the two screw holes holding the spare tire panel against the back panel of the car. They are placed closer to the middle in comparison with most original 65's
I have seen which are placed closer to the corners. When I bought #275 it had a repo panel but a very good friend traded me for an original one which is in my car today and the screw holes are placed exactly as on this car. Maybe early cars had the holes
placed like this and later cars towards the corners. Maybe it was the individuals installing the panels at the factory who drilled the holes where ever they felt like.
Texas Swede