Author Topic: Any good Holley Carburetor rebuiders on here?  (Read 8767 times)

jk66gt350

• View Profile
Re: Any good Holley Carburetor rebuiders on here?
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
Drew rebuilt and restored the 3360 and 3361 Holleys on my 2 x 4 bbl setup.  Got them back last week and I got them re-installed and dialed in this week.  Drew's work exceeded my expectations!  The carbs are like eye candy and the car has never run better. 

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »
I'm see a lot of hype, but no substance.  Generally, on well used carbs the bores for the throttle shaft(s) will wear egg-shaped.  Vacuum leaks become serious.  Where a new throttle plate assembly is not available, necessary to use a small, jig bore to pic up on the original center line, and bore over size.  Index to the opposite side and bore in perfect alignment.  Lathe turn a bronze sleeve, slip fit into the new bores using Loctite.  Finally, ream the bronze repair sleeves in place for .0002 clearance with new throttle shafts.  Any less is just aesthetics.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
I've always been able to rebuild my own carbs and have them work. I haven't looked for the final pony or best finish. The comment about checking each part is the best advice. 1/2 the time when you buy a used carb from some guy at the swap meet who has 20-30 of them you'll find it put together with the wrong parts. If you see some that have been tinkered with for more HP run away. Every seller will tell you it was prepped by God and the best thing since sliced bread when in fact it was some guy under his shade tree with a hammer.
There is a PDF file on the Holley site that lists all the part numbers for each carb. Base plate, metering blocks, gaskets, jets as shipped etc. https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf

I'm going to try the Track Warrior on my 310" Cleveland. Roush ran an 830 but I couldn't find one so I got a new 850. If it doesn't work I'll have to drag out my old 750 and look for a 460 to put this one on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:48:06 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
I'm see a lot of hype, but no substance.  Generally, on well used carbs the bores for the throttle shaft(s) will wear egg-shaped.  Vacuum leaks become serious.  Where a new throttle plate assembly is not available, necessary to use a small, jig bore to pic up on the original center line, and bore over size.  Index to the opposite side and bore in perfect alignment.  Lathe turn a bronze sleeve, slip fit into the new bores using Loctite.  Finally, ream the bronze repair sleeves in place for .0002 clearance with new throttle shafts.  Any less is just aesthetics.

A few questions:
-Was this directed at anyone in particular?
-In a Holley baseplate, what wears first, the baseplate or the brass throttle shaft?
-these shaft vacuum leaks. What overall effect does one have on an engine?

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
A few questions:
-Was this directed at anyone in particular?
-In a Holley baseplate, what wears first, the baseplate or the brass throttle shaft?
-these shaft vacuum leaks. What overall effect does one have on an engine?

A few answers:
-No.  Assumption is carburetor is being rebuilt to due to wear induced loss of performance and improve upon original function.
-My experience is throttle shafts are low carbon steel and throttle plates are an aluminum or zinc die casting.  Latter shafts have a PTFE coating.  In time, vacuum attracted grit is drawn into the bores wearing both shafts and plate.
-Throttle shaft vacuum leaks are no different than any other vacuum leak.  Loss of air:fuel ratio calibration, rough idle, overall performance loss.

Everyone works to a different standard.  Important buyers have the best knowledge base to shop wisely.
For reference only, https://www.carburetor-blog.com/knowledge-base/throttle-shafts-and-bushings/

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
Pre Colt Ford throttle shafts are brass.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:26:53 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 02:09:15 PM »
   I have made my personal collection of over 50 original Holley engineering sheets available to Drew as he needs them. These feature all the specifications ( some hand written) and in some cases the "source" carb being modified.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
I do need to get those from you and scanned. I am a data nerd. I just love reading about how and why they did what for a specific purpose. Both to learn from and replicate as needed.

Been busy, 98 carbs in 76 days has been exhausting.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 12:08:18 AM »
Cool photo. You're the man! 

Now you just need something like ten 1700 cubic-inch V-12 Allison engines on test stands, to fire-up all them Holleys at once.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:14:01 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 07:45:14 AM »
That would save me a ton of time....