News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

This is the 66 GT350 of Airplanes

Started by eric lipper, February 05, 2020, 09:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric lipper

There may be 35 or so of these still flying in the world but they were the highest performance planes of their day.  If any of you are ever in Houston come take a ride.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

prototypefan

The Staggerwing Beechcraft is just stunning!!!!

Jim Herrud

+1 An absolutely gorgeous aircraft! I have loved these since I was a kid.

I had the opportunity to buy one of these 20+ years ago. After my broker investigated, it needed quite a bit of work. Also, after being further edjumacated, I didn't think I was prepared for the routine maintenance it would require. I bought a Cessna T210M instead. Not nearly the same ramp presence.

Owning a Beech 17 has to be a true labor of love.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

prototypefan

The original gauges were radioactive.

A red one frequents our airport.......ramp presence.....CHECK!!!!

1967 eight barrel

The Beechcraft 17S
Maximum Airspeed: 212 mph
Introduced: 1932/1949
Engine: P&W 985 Wasp Junior.
Total Production: 785

There were issues with mid-air break-ups attributed to aileron flutter. I have flown two of them. They are a beautiful design.

-Keith

Have a buddy in Davenport Washington restoring one now. Been one of his lifelong dreams.

That and a replica GeeBee.

1967 eight barrel

Which GeeBee?  The Gee Bee Z and R2 have both been done. Delmar Benjamin does a fantastic job of the stick and rudder work.
Here are videos of both.
Gee Bee Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1MHoYY-mc

Gee Bee R2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9UOgFmZIo
                                                                                  -Keith

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 05, 2020, 10:36:37 PM
Which GeeBee?  The Gee Bee Z and R2 have both been done. Delmar Benjamin does a fantastic job of the stick and rudder work.
Here are videos of both.
Gee Bee Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1MHoYY-mc

Gee Bee R2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9UOgFmZIo
                                                                                  -Keith

R2

And Delmar is from Shelby Montana!

Don Johnston

CS loved planes as much as cars. I wonder i he ever flew one o these magnificent machines.

1967 eight barrel

Carroll was a flight instructor from 43-45 in San Antonio which became Lackland AFB.  It's possible being he taught on the Beechcraft trainer.
As you know his heart condition would have precluded him from flight.

He spoke of it a couple times at the Goodyear Tire Distribution center in Gardena.
                                                                                                   -Keith

honker

NC TRACKRAT

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, I was a vendor to Beech Aircraft and had access to their entire facilities.  Olive Ann Beech was still involved...a very competent and elegant lady, well ahead of her time in that she was one of the first women to lead a large corporation. There were always fly-ins of various models like the V-Tail Bonanzas, etc., but when the Staggerwing 17S's flew in, it was something special!  I will admit that, although they're beautiful, the Mystery S steals the show! www.aviation-history.com/travelair/mystery.html and www.goldenageofaviation.org/Travel.html

5S071, 6S1467

prototypefan

they simply look like they are going 200mph sitting on the tarmac!!!!

b
u
t
full