News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

AMT Model of 1967 Shelby - Record

Started by rmarble57, February 06, 2020, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

Hmmm, tried the link mlplunkett posted and it still works for me.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

He does say GT500 on the recording but how many here have GT500's that go to 7000 RPM? I still think the recording is of a race prepared GT350 or perhaps SCCA sedan.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

honker

mlplunkett,  thanks for posting,  the link works for me, I have not listened to that record since I bought the kit back in the day, still

have it, but I don't have that card that they show along with the record. A couple of the pictures they show along with the video

are not at Riverside, the R model (prototype ?) shot is at Willow Springs, you can see the sign on the left.

Great stuff brings back a lot of memories  ;)

Mike

BGlover67

Does anyone know what gearing was in the Super Snake when Carroll drove it that day?  He really could drive, I wonder how his career would have gone if he didn't have to retire due to health concerns?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 08, 2020, 10:01:38 AM
He does say GT500 on the recording but how many here have GT500's that go to 7000 RPM? I still think the recording is of a race prepared GT350 or perhaps SCCA sedan.
Royce, again It is the GT 500 supersnake CS was in when making the recording. Apparently since I already mentioned it was the GT500 supersnake you are not aware the engine in that car was/is a 427 lightweight engine (solid lifter of course)like used in the GT40's at LeMans. It is one of only 3 factory blessed cars with a 427. All three are lightweight engines according to factory documentation.  That engine could and did see 7,000 rpm. Whether or not CS was exaggerating for effect is debatable . The point is the engine was built to do it. A stock GT 500 with a hydraulic cam would be pushing it on anything over  5,500 RPM.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Sorry Bob I missed that in your previous comments.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 08, 2020, 12:19:43 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 08, 2020, 10:01:38 AM
Royce, again It is the GT 500 supersnake CS was in when making the recording. Apparently since I already mentioned it was the GT500 supersnake you are not aware the engine in that car was/is a 427 lightweight engine (solid lifter of course)like used in the GT40's at LeMans. It is one of only 3 factory blessed cars with a 427. All three are lightweight engines according to factory documentation.  That engine could and did see 7,000 rpm. Whether or not CS was exaggerating for effect is debatable . The point is the engine was built to do it. A stock GT 500 with a hydraulic cam would be pushing it on anything over  5,500 RPM.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

mlplunkett

I remember hearing that the GT350 designers wanted the hood scoop to open at the rear to be in the high pressure area at the base of the windshield but I didn't realize that they actually mounted it that way on the prototype. Great photo.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

shelbydoug

Quote from: mlplunkett on February 10, 2020, 11:51:32 AM
I remember hearing that the GT350 designers wanted the hood scoop to open at the rear to be in the high pressure area at the base of the windshield but I didn't realize that they actually mounted it that way on the prototype. Great photo.

Sure. Where do you think GM stole got the idea for the Pontiac Firebird with the decal of the chicken on the hood from? Did you think that was original?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!