News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Barn Find 69

Started by MsLucy, February 11, 2020, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsLucy

I dont mind spending to do it right, even if I have to spread it out out several years.

Is it a matter of simply finding the correct proper date code 428 block, heads, and other items , to get it back to par? Or were the engines in these vin matched from the factory ?

Coralsnake

The engines were stamped with VINs

Many Shelbys do not have their original engines

It doesnt change the value significantly

tesgt350

Maybe this will help with Pricing.....This one is for sale at Cape Cod Mustang for just $45,000........

http://capecodmustang.com/photo.php?directory=cars/2019_inventory/1969_red_gt350/

cboss70

I love barn finds and project cars- been tempted recently to find a 68 GT350/500 big project myself. Over the last year I've seen disassembled to running 69/70's that were savable from 25-45k (including that most recent one at capecodmustang that's been for sale for awhile). I've only run across one GT500 project within the past year or so and it was on craigslist in the North East and facebook (some may remember that maroon one). It had lots of rust and a non original motor but was complete for I believe 25k. I spoke to him and I believe he paid under 20k and was flipping it (I think both numbers on the car were lower than I've seen in awhile). If I was forced to put a number out there for a non-original motor car that was otherwise complete but needed a full resto including unibody and body rust I'd say it would probably bring in the 30's. You would have way more into it than its worth if you did a full blown restoration but I also know people are willing to pay up on projects because they cant make the financial leap to a finished car. If you can afford what they want and believe you can restore it go for it!

It would help if you got the vin to make sure it's an original Shelby.If it's not it's value is based on it being a pretty mustang,which has significantly less value....

FL SAAC

First and foremost welcome to the SAAC forum and congratulations on your find.

You should contact someone to assist you through this process and someone already provided the link to Cape Cod Mustangs ask for Brett

Also post some pictures as the suspense is killing us
 for just $45,000........good luck

http://capecodmustang.com/photo.php?directory=cars/2019_inventory/1969_red_gt350/

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

stangman39

Just so MsLucy isn't confused...the car she is looking into is said to be a GT500
The one Bret at Cape Cod is selling is a 350.
There is some difference in value...a 500 being more.

MsLucy

Well, went to see it yesterday. What a poor poor car. Original 428 is gone, was replaced with a 390. Floorboards rotted thru. Missing passenger door. Interior was trashed. Animals were definitely nesting in it. Raccoon seems to have gnawed thru a part of the hood. Interior dash and trim extremely corroded. It had 4 flat tires and was on a gravel floor, was hard to see but the frame looked questionable as well. Only thing saveable to me, looked like the trunk lid, front fenders, hood could prob be repaired, roll bar , and maybe a few other items. Driver door wouldn't open, it was frozen in place. Looking at the gaps on the door, wouldn't be shocked if the frame was starting to buckle. Been in a barn since 1980, pretty much neglected and left to rot. It was grabber blue, then painted red, then painted a dark blue at some point in its life.

Owner doesn't think its all that bad. He said if he doesn't get 30k, he will restore it himself. I just don't think this one can be saved.

mark p

Quote from: MsLucy on February 17, 2020, 08:49:07 AM
... What a poor poor car. Original 428 is gone, was replaced with a 390. Floorboards rotted thru. Missing passenger door. Interior was trashed. Animals were definitely nesting in it... Interior dash and trim extremely corroded... was hard to see but the frame looked questionable as well... It was grabber blue, then painted red, then painted a dark blue at some point in its life.

Owner doesn't think its all that bad. He said if he doesn't get 30k, he will restore it himself...

??? ::) :o :-\
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Coralsnake

Hopefully you can report the VIN fo the Registry

shelbymann1970

Well, went to see it yesterday. What a poor poor car. Original 428 is gone, was replaced with a 390. Floorboards rotted thru. Missing passenger door. Interior was trashed. Animals were definitely nesting in it. Raccoon seems to have gnawed thru a part of the hood. Interior dash and trim extremely corroded. It had 4 flat tires and was on a gravel floor, was hard to see but the frame looked questionable as well. Only thing saveable to me, looked like the trunk lid, front fenders, hood could prob be repaired, roll bar , and maybe a few other items. Driver door wouldn't open, it was frozen in place. Looking at the gaps on the door, wouldn't be shocked if the frame was starting to buckle. Been in a barn since 1980, pretty much neglected and left to rot. It was grabber blue, then painted red, then painted a dark blue at some point in its life.

Owner doesn't think its all that bad. He said if he doesn't get 30k, he will restore it himself. I just don't think this one can be saved.
As Pete said I hope you got a pic or wrote down the VIN of the car for the registry. Vinny Liska(Mongo) does the 68-70 registries. Please register the VIN with him if you have it. In reality if you were to buy a complete 428CJ(assuming the car isnt a SCJ car-do you know the difference?) it is 10K easily if missing all the pertinent parts and I would bet the smog, s tube and heat shield are gone. 4 speed or Auto? Trans there? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

He said if he doesn't get 30k, he will restore it himself.

He should get a start on that.

Sounds like another one may have"bitten the dust" :-X :'(